Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

gun finishes

Old 03-23-2006, 05:01 PM

Default gun finishes

I was just wondering what causes the different finishes on gun barrels. What I mean is that like my rem 870 is blued and it has a dull finish, but then my wolverine and my 10/22 are blued too but they have a shiny finish. Or are they not both blued and one has a different finish?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: gun finishes

Mostly it is what the manufacturer wants to use. There is a plain old chemical blue found on most traditional styles of m/l and many inlines as well. Then there is a higher gloss version of the same type of bluing found on most sporting rifles like model 70's and such.I think it is called hot bluing. Then there is a finish I am not sure how it is done but is very high gloss and almost looks like black porcelin. I checked out a couple rifles made with that finish at Fox Ridge Outfitters a couple days ago. It looks very durable but I can imagine trying to do small touch ups would be tough.

If you wanted to duplicate any type of finish I would ask your local gunsmith about it.