Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on first muzzleloader

Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Question on first muzzleloader

Hello fellas, Long time reader first time poster and this seems to be one of the top info sites there is. I am planning on buying a new muzzleloader in April, and I was wondering whats the opinions on the CVA Optima Pro and the Traditions Pursuit Pro? The price between the two is very comparable, I have held them both and the sights on both came in line very easily when raising them to my face(haven't decided if I will put a scope on or not). I really like the weight and stock shape/designof the CVA(It seemed to have more weight which I like) I like the hinge release on the traditions more becasue when I closed the CVA the release trigger hit my fingers. So thats where I am at right now I am leaning towards the CVA mind you I have not shot either so thats a question in the back of my mind. So any info on both please let me have it. The one thing I would not like is brand bashing if you know what I mean, just the hard facts as you know them. Thanks guys.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on first muzzleloader

Welcome to the forum. Since you have handled and inspected both of them it sounds like your mind is well on the way to being set. Since I don't have a lot of practical experience with any of the models you mentioned, I will not make an opinion. I can relate that the posts I have read on both of them from theirowners, tend to indicate they are both good shooting rifles.

Good luck with your selection process and welcome again to the forum.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

SaskBushMan,
Welcome to the forum!
IMO, I prefer CVA over Traditions. I think CVA has better quality.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks cayugad and ENCOREMAN, I just want to clairfy that when I said I would not like to hear any brand bashing I meant like someone saying its crap if its not an omega or something along those lines. What I would like to knowis things that are facts like the trigger on one is to stiff or the barrel will give me trouble or it can't handle heavy loads etc.your guys opinions mean alot as well I have benn reading lots on here and it seems like everyone knows what they are talking about.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Also what is recommended blued barrel or stainless steal?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'll weigh in. I've had a muzzleloader for about five years; first one (and until recently, only one) was a CVA Staghorn .50. Shot pretty good, had a GREAT trigger. I did let it rust first year, before I learned that you've got to very,very thoroughly clean after EVER outing to the range.

Recently I was in the mood for a new gun. I wanted a TC Omega, having read good things about them. But when I handled, one, and squeezed the trigger.... I didn't like the balance, and the trigger seemed stiff. There at the store onsale for seventy-odd dollars was a CVA Buckhorn, a much improved version of my old rifle. Much better stock, comparable trigger, better safety, MUCH better recoil pad, integral sling studs - I couldn't resist. Took it to the range the other day, it shot well.

I recommend one. The one downer about these rifles... they're a pain to clean. On the other hand, they're great shooters and will kill deer as effectively as rifles recommended by those who'll tell you that a CVA is dangerous junk.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

SaskBushMan-Welcome to the forum.I owned a CVA Optima with nickel barrel and black composite stock It shot most anything I stuffed down the barrel. I did a lot of load development with lots of different bullets and several powders.Best load I found was a .300gr XTP 45 cal. and a MMP sabot. I shot 100gr 777/ff. No problem with trigger,a little heavier than I prefer,but not that bad.Easy to take down and clean. Biggest fault I found was the release lever. I think they made it backwards. Carrying across my arm was a bit uncomfortable. I used both 209 primers and the PR .25ACP conversion with no problems. I sold it to a friend when I bought the Omega,he still has it and loves it. Another friend of mine bought one.Sighted in at 25 yds for two shots and put the third shot inside a 6" circle at 100yds. Pretty good accuracy straight out of the box. Stay within the mfgs load chart,(as with any firearm) I think you will be happy.

Charlie
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM

Got your email jaybe thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't really help with which one, as I haven't had enough experience with either model. So go whichever you feels is best. As far as max loads go, in all honesty most shooters don't use 150 gr loads. Reason being accuracy loss is common. A 100 gr with 240-300 gr load will drop a deer to 200, if the hunter can. Like mentioned stick with what the manufacturer suggestion and when increasing do so by small margins of 5 grains with loose powder. If your going to run pellets than start out with 2x50's = 100 with different projectiles in the 240-300 gr range. If you want to experiment higher buy some 30's and make other combinations till you reach optimal performance or max. I personally would never take a new rifle or Ml out of the box and jam it up hot, work it in slowly.

Personally I'd scope it, but choice is yours.

IMO SS is better for new mler's, reason being easier to determine the entire rifle is indeed clean. Not just the bore needs to be kept clean but rather the entire rifle. SS is just a tad bit more user friendly in this regard.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with ya Skeeter. And SS is a bit more corrosion resistant in most environments.