Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Good Range Day!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default A Good Range Day!

Shot the Disc Elite this weekend. Wow, is there a bullet this gun does not like?

I shot 13, 3 shot groups. All were at 50 yards using 100 grains loose T7 and Win 209 primers, 3x9x40 Swift Scope(thanks Chuck). I shot Powerbelts(348), Platinum Tips(260), Partition Golds(260), Gold Dots(250),
Shockwaves(200 and 250), Hunterman's bullets(HP and Blunt 280 gr.), Deadcenters(220), Extremes(200), Sabertooths(?), Speer soft points(.429 240 and 270). I know this was at 50 yards but for a beginner I was real happy. Worse group was 1 1/2" MOA. The best were 1/2" MOA. The best were the 200 Shockwaves, Partition golds 260 and Hunterman's 280 Mag tip. Mark makes some nice boolets! I think all these groupss could be better.

I used Windex with Ammonia to swab between shots followed by 2 dry patches(thanks Sabotloader). I want every shot to be like shooting the first shot on a clean barrel. trying to not do a fouling shot. Think this is going to work.

Looking at some digital cameras so I hope to start posting pics of the targets and then some hogs soon.

Question, If a group is 1 1/2 inches @ 50 yards does that make it a 3" plus group @ 100 yards?

Old 03-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Default RE: A Good Range Day!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Congo Rats!!

I am still trying to get together an assortment of Sabots and bullets to make a nice day of shooting like you have, so I am jealous. Soon I will be out there killing little sheets of paper though, soon!!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like you have a fine shooting rifle there. Of course it being a Knight Disc Elite, that does not surprise me. They are a great rifle..

As to your questions;
Question, If a group is 1 1/2 inches @ 50 yards does that make it a 3" plus group @ 100 yards?
That would normally be a suggested limit of the group but not always the case. Bullets react different at different distances. It might hold a much better then 3" group, then again it might have fliers all over the place. The only way to find out is to shoot at that distance. I personally think it will shoot around a 2" group for you with some of the loads mentioned.

Keep us posted on the rifle. I almost bought another one, but having a Disc rifle already could not justify it. I have the open sights on mine since my rifle is not an Elite and it is without doubt a great open sight shooter.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Cayugad,

I have been very happy with that rifle. On my next outing I'm going to go 100 yards. Kind of doing one step at a time. It helps in isolating problems and mistakes.

Shooting all those bullets in 3 shot groups was a blast. Never worried about moving the scope. Was just looking for groups. None of the 13 groups were the same as far as POI. Forgot to mention also, all the sabots were MMP shorts and HPH-24s.

How's your new toy coming along?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Other then a terrible trigger which CVA has offered to fix, the rifle is doing real good. I only had it out twice now but it holds good groups and the ignition if excellent. I might throw some different sights on it or a red dot. I have not decided yet. Still playing with it.

I emailed CVA last night about the trigger and just some general comments. Dave Meredith the manager of customer service answered me today. He said to mail them the rifle minus the barrel and they would see what they could do about the trigger. CVA always did have a good customer service even though some have had problems with them, I never have. I was impressed with their offer (since the rifle was made in 1992) and their fast reply.

I am real glad that the rifle of yours is such a good shooter. I think a lot of people really missed the boat when they did not snap up some of the deals that were out there on the Knight Disc Elite rifles. They are a great shooter without question...
Old 03-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

excellant shooting and a very good report.Those Knight rifles are very good shooters. Lee
Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

It's nice to be able to contribute some now that I have shoot it several times Lemoyne. Once the time changes I can shoot more. It's hard on the weekends with kids, wife, horses, sick parents ....... in no paticualr order!

When i do go like Saturday I block out 5-6 hours. Take 3 big cigars and enjoy myself. The range works on 25 minute sessions. I get in 3 shoots each session. If someone ever clompaines about my cigars I will load up some pyrodex and shoot up wind of them! [8D]

How's the shoulder doing Cayugad?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

How's the shoulder doing Cayugad?
Thanks for asking... it is much better. It still is not 100% but as long as I do not over do it, it's doing much better.The shoulder is sore and stiff now and does not have full range of motion yet. Maybe some snow shoveling will loosen it up.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Yes I'd say it was a great day at the range.
And them groups ain't too shabby either. Glad
the Knight is shooting good for you. Keep us
posted. Danny
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

While shooting the other day... I managed to place three consecutive shots though one triangular hole at fifty yards. All excited, I moved to 100yds, expecting twice as big... maybe 2". Turns out I got about a 4" group. I'm not sure if it is because I was lucky first time, hurried & low on daylight 2nd time, or rifle accurace goes downhill at 100yds.

I dunno. I'll try again soon... .

Quick Reply: A Good Range Day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.