Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Sabots

Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Sabots

Wolfhound76

I know there are no bore standards but you would really think on an American made barrel from the same manufacturer that the bore diameters from gun to gun would be closer... I am not a rocket scientist so my mic measurements are not the best... I have some 320 REALs they measure at the top ring .500-.501 - if I drop that into the QLA they hang up just a bit but just a slight push and they will slide down the barrel - to get them out turn the gun upside down and give a slight jerk and it will come out the bore. Yet I am able to load any bullet I have .451/.452's with the 24's with a minimum force - if the QLA did not get in the way I could probably push it all the way down with my thumbs... and I think I mentioned also the same thing for .458's and the MMP sabot. If I use a "crush rib" with a 300 grain .452 Hornady XTP it seems like it is TO easy and with the other sabot same thing. So why? is there that much difference between TCguns...

Sorry bsteve - not meaning to hijack your thread....

Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Short answer is... yes, there is that much difference.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

If I was to order sabots of the right thickness from MMP, which sabot would I ask for when ordering that would be similar to the crushed rib sabot from Harvester for loading? I have to order a couple hundred more of the orange sabots and I am down to about 50 of the crushed rib. I noticed today with the CVA Stalker, when I tried to load a conventional sabot and projectile, I was going to have a hard time getting it in the barrel. The Crushed Rib sabots did load fine and shot great. I just figured I would not have to order from a different store that way. I tend to order way too much stuff when in other online stores..
Old 03-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

SabotLoader, not a problem. I also tried the Crush Ribs per your suggestion. In my rifle with a dirty barrel they loaded with about the right resistance. I 'll probably get out to the range tuesday and give the new sabots a try.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

But that is my question WHY? Same barrel, same manufacturer, same metal, same tools - I can not believe they are not coming off a line - certainly they can not be hand made in this day and age....

Remember i am not an engineer but it does seem odd to me...

Old 03-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably tooling wear or simply different tools (or maybe even different machine operators). Short answere there is, I don't know either.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

My guess is that they have more than one barrel boring set up. Other than the loading difficulty everything else has been A O.K. The rifle is very accurate.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bsteve

My guess is that they have more than one barrel boring set up. Other than the loading difficulty everything else has been A O.K. The rifle is very accurate.
Because the gun-making laws are not as stringent with muzzleloaders, the tools are allowed to get duller - diameter specs are allowed more variance in width -- groove dimensions/number of groovesare allowed to vary.

Sometimes, it ain't the barrel's fault. Stock-to-barrel fit may be slightly off -- stock screw holes can be off by an inch-or-so -- trigger pull variances... etc.

It all goes with a product thaty sells on average for $225 versus your centerfire that sells on average for double-that.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en& UC

I grasp the picture, but it just seems odd to me that a major manufacturer would have that kind of tolerance... as an example and an example only, I have two Remington's a 24" and a 26" my nephew has a 26" - these guns are years apart from each other but they virtually have the same bore diameter, notice I did not say exact. I have 4 Green Mountain 1/28 twist barrels, forgot to say Hawkin barrels,- 3 regular steel and 1 stainless purchased over several years - they are virtually the same and finally the 2 A&H's from different generations one from Weston - one from Provo and again virtually the same extruded bore. In fact all of these 50 cal bores use the same sabot and the same bullets with out a problem...it mystifies me....

This is why I have problems in my mind about these TC bores... I prayed when i got mine i the correct bore and it worked out so I am happy. Mine is a stainless is the variety occuring from Stainless to Z5 models? Got to be a reason - I know you already told me....but darn, not a good way to run a business.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

well all my 50 cal. TC's slug at .500 is that not correct? It sure made a differance when I firelapped in the loading but they still slug at .500; I think having a good smooth polish makes a noticable differance in loading,don't you.Lee

Quick Reply: New Sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.