Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Stalker Carbine

Old 03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default CVA Stalker Carbine

Well the little Brown Truck finally found his way back into the woods to my place. I have been waiting for my new rifle. New as in new in the box, but according to the serial number on the rifle it was made in 1992. According to the Manual with the rifle it was shipped in 1994.

This is a CVA (made in Spain) Stalker Carbine. The rifle has a 24 inch blue octagonbarrel and is a .50 caliber. They also came in .54 caliber which would have been a real trip to get.It even surprised me. With a 1-32 twist I believe this will be a real conical and sabot shooter. In fact in the manual for loads they offer different conical and sabot suggestions.

I also most wonder if this was not an attempt by CVA to bridge a traditional rifle with some inline qualities. This rifle does not lock down with a wedge pin. Instead there is a locking lug through the bottom of the stock, like my other inline rifles. Also the excellent sights on the rifle, a real trip from the old fashion CVA standard field sights. And this rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Perhaps a nice red dot scope would be in order on this since I have one laying around.

My impressions of the rifle are very impressive. It is thefirst time I came across this model, but a lot of nice features were put on thisrifle. The rifle comes with a very high quality wood stock with the Monte Carlo cheek piece on it. The stock is a very thick wood pistol grip and a wide base for the stock. The barrel to stock fit is excellent. Nice and tight with little gap. It has a button locking breech.

In my inspection of the barrel, I note it still full of packing grease with no sign of any rust. The only thing I found that needs to be fixed is the ramrod. The groove through the wood stock needs some sanding as it is still very ruff. It looks like a machine routered it in and then nothing was done to smooth the surface. The ramrod fits very tight.

Later tonight I will clean the barrel and check it again further. I will then shoot it in the near future as soon as I am able. I have some ballets (which are suggested in the manual... that kind of threw me) to try and some different conicals...

I also need to build another gun wall rack as I have all the others full to the brim. Lets hope I don't win a bid on another rifle I have been after this week...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: CVA Stalker Carbine

cayugad

Gosh that is a beautiful gun. And I think agree with your statement about it being in between the traditional and the newer inline styles.

I just bet you are going to spend quite a bit time pamering your new tool and will certainly getthe best treatment in the world.

Post some targets when you get a chance...but most important have fun...

mike
Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow cayugad!

I like. This is a perfect swamp gun for heavy conicals. I would like it in .54 but would buy one right now if they offered it in .58. If you don't mind my asking. How much does it weigh? And what does have to pay for it?

Please let us know how it shoots.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not all that heavy, around six pounds. I got it in auction for $99.50
Old 03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It's not all that heavy, around six pounds. I got it in auction for $99.50
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

that's a steal... good going.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

AHEM, Well How did it shoot?

It looks much better than the box pic you posted last week. Good job on finding another bp value. It always suprizes me what we can find for short money nowadays.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great buy! My CVA with a 26" 1-32 barrel really likes the Great Plains 385gr HBHP. Give 'em a ride.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

AHEM, Well How did it shoot?

It looks much better than the box pic you posted last week. Good job on finding another bp value. It always suprizes me what we can find for short money nowadays.
I have not shot it... Believe this or not I have not been able to shoot all week. I am going into withdrawals. [:@] Old men don't bounce like they used to when we were young. Be a good title for a book.. Old Men Don't Bounce. I had some misfortune with ice,and because of a fall I injured my left shoulder so bad that I have not been able to raise my arm.

I have cleaned the rifle tonight and if I have to sandbag it and shoot one handed, I am going to shoot it tomorrow unless we get the freezing rain they claim is coming. Then I am not going out of the house.

Great buy! My CVA with a 26" 1-32 barrel really likes the Great Plains 385gr HBHP. Give 'em a ride.
I have some at the house. What kind of powder charge are you pushing them and are you using a sub base at all?

thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Well with that note I will make sure I do not ask the old fart any questions for a while so his body can heal. Don't want to make him type to fast or something....

Quick Reply: CVA Stalker Carbine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.