Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Stalker Carbine

Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Stalker Carbine

Just a quick update. I shot the rifle yesterday and as the day before, the ignition was flawless with the RWS 1075 caps, and the rifle was shooting 370 grain maxi ball into a nice tight group using my homemade lube and wonder wads, other then it was high and right a little. I have not made any adjustment to the sights yet. The first shot on a clean barrel hits very nearDead Centeron the bull for the two times I have shot the rifle at the 30 yard line. I also shot five 240 grain XTP's with a Harvester sabot and they shot under a 1" group at 30 yard but again, high and to the right. The one complaint still is the terrible trigger.

So last night I e-mailed CVA about the trigger along with some other comments. Dave Meredith the general manager of customer service e-mailed me back today andadvised me to send them the rifle minus the barrel and they would see what they could do about the trigger pull. Not only was I very impressed with their kind offer (since the rifle was made in 1992) but the fast response to my e-mail. Once the blizzard lets up that we have going here, I will send the rifle back to them for the repair.....

Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
I remember the days when you could e-mail T/C Customer Service Center and get a reply. It's nice to know that CVA offers this option for their customers.
I'm surprised with your vastknowledge that you don't tackle the trigger yourself?
If you ever see anotherCVA Stalker for sale, let me know. I'd like to buy one...it's a good looker.
I'm glad to hear your shoulder's feeling better
Keep us posted.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

vast knowledge.. I'm flattered to say the least. But a gunsmithI never claimed to be. Granted I've mounted my share of scopes and worked over some barrels that couldn't be hurt much more then they already were, but triggers are another thing. One little slip and you are buying parts.

Besides, CVA offered to do it, they have the gun smiths on premise, and they have the warranty. This way all bases are covered.

I will watch for one, and let you know if I see it...
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
I know that you've never claimed to be a gunsmith but from the post I've read by you, you seem to melikea do it yourself type person.
I'm in no waysa gunsmith and would never claim to be one either, but I do work on my own triggers. The hardest that I can remember was onmy Encore and I was glad I took digital pictures before I started working.
You are taking the safest and smartestroute bysending it back to CVA. I should be so smart

Old 03-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

vast knowledge.. I'm flattered to say the least. But a gunsmithI never claimed to be. Granted I've mounted my share of scopes and worked over some barrels that couldn't be hurt much more then they already were, but triggers are another thing. One little slip and you are buying parts.
I re-worked a trigger on aSavage.22 WMR. Was a $99 dollar rifle about 17-18 years ago. The trigger was so hard it bruised my trigger finger. I noticed that there was a ledge on the trigger that was all rough so I polished it with very fine emory. I noticed then it was "too easy". It worried me so I cocked my rifle, unloaded of course, and just allowed the butt firmly bump the floor. Every 2nd or 3rd bump the trigger released. So i had to go back in and "roughen it". While the rifle is now a pleasure to fire, in the back of my head, I have a worry and I always think about my trigger modifications when I hunt or shoot with it.

Something "HAD" to be done about the trigger, but looking back, I wish I had thought to call Savage and see if they would do the modifications. So all in all, I think the piece of mind you will get by letting CVA handle it for you, will be worth whatever it takes to send it to them.

Its good to hear your rifle is shooting well.

Happy Hunting, Phil