Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Stalker Carbine

Old 03-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Stalker Carbine

That is an interesting rifle Cayugad. Might do well with some REALs or Maxi-balls?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Looking over the suggested projectiles you might try, they seem to suggest LARGE conicals. I would have thought that a 1-32 would be good for small conicals. Although this is the first 1-32 twist I have owned. I have some R.E.A.L. conicals, maxi ball, three different Great Plains Conicals, and some No Excuse Conicials to try out of it. It should be an interesting first shoot....
Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been using 70gr 3f 777 with very good results. I posted a target with a 3 round group a few weeks ago when I was working up a load.2 rounds were touching and the other was about 1" away. No sub base or wad used.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Dominant Buck

thanks.. I will give that a try.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Yes heavy conicals sound right to me because it has a fast twist. The faster the twist the longer the bullet. Thats why the lighter REALs work good in the 1:48 twist rifles they have a slower twist.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
That is one mighty fine looking ML. I hope you heal up fast and your weather allows you some hammer time.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Hey! it is 8:00 Pacific time so I am wondering???? Have you shot it yet????

I am out the door in about an hour - told Terry I was shooting stainless today. Beautiful day sunny bright 28 degrees right now going to high 30's

Old 03-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice gun Dave!

Those were the days when the old CVA made guns/stocks with more quality. The old company got into trouble when they cheapened their first inlines (Apollo). I still haveaccess to anold $109 CVA Plainsman 1-66" from the early 90s that has a nice, solid, nicely grainedwood stock. I sold it recently - but I'm sure I could find a trade-value MLrifle laying around & snatch it back someday.

There are rumblings that the new CVA company (BPI)is having "quality/safety" problems & may be gone in the near future.

Anyone want to buy BPI cheap? Haveseveral million inside your piggy-banks? (guess).
Two buildings and inventory not included in that price....
Old 03-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Excuse me did someone call my name? I read
pitsburhunter post about the CVA Stalker. And
he said something about an old fart & not
being graceful So I figured he was talking
about me....LOL A fine looking ML I bet it will
be a good shooter. Danny

Old 03-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately Danny I think he was referring to me and my new ice dancing routine. I looked outside and it was a beautiful day, 49ºs and bright sun, but very windy. Also the back yard was an ocean of ice from all the melting snow. So common sense told me to stay inside, away from the ice where it was safe.

Good thing my mother always told me I had no common sense.

Although this is only from the 30 yard station, shooting one handed off a bag rest, the rifle ignition was flawless. The trigger could definitely use some work. It has to be about nine pounds I would guess. When the wing heals more I will take a look at fixing or smoothing that out a little more.

The 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals seemed to be flying. I was shooting them with 70 grains of Goex 2f, so next time out, I will kick the powder charge up and put a wonder wad under them to see if I can not make them behave.

The 245 grain Ball-et made by Buffalo Bullet company show some promise. I think a lot of the group was caused by me trying to get used to the trigger. I was shooting them with 80 grains of Goex 2f and not swabbing between shots. I noticed, this is a tight barrel. You have to be careful even swabbing the bore or you can get a wet patch stuck. Patch size with this rifle is very important. Of course it is new and time will smooth a lot of that out. If it don't I will.

I then got out some 300 grain Hornady XTP's with their own sabots and noticed it was going to be next to impossible to even load the things, so we put them away. No use fighting the rifle with one arm tied to your side. I then got out some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots and some of the Speer 454 Casull .452 diameter 300 grain GDHP (Gold Dot Hollow Points). I kicked the powder charge up to 85 grains to see if it would bring the groups down a little and was kind of pleased with the group it shot.

A better trigger, and a better address of the rifle, and I am sure I can make this one shoot real well...

Quick Reply: CVA Stalker Carbine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.