Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What to shoot this weekend?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to shoot this weekend?

Pittsburghunter,
I'm glad that you finally got the Omega out to the range. Didn't the Omega come with sights? We have both of our Omega'sscoped, so if you need a set of sights for an Omega, just ask and you shall receive. I think I have your address around somewhere??
It sounds like the Renegade flinter made your day....cool.
I was surprised that you didn't takeyour new .54 Scout out to the range with you. I think it was the right decision though. I like to focus on one ML at a time and very seldom take out more than that.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I actually brought 4 rifles including the new Scout but I was having so much fun with the Renegade I decided to wait for another day. It was my first time shooting a properly funtioning flintlock and I was having a ball!! My shoulder is not to happy about that though. (thirty plus shots out of the Renegade and another 40 or so out of military guns).

The Omega came with sights but I did not like the ones that came on it so I figured I could do a direct swap with the Encore but that did not work. The barrel of the Omega must be tapered more than the Encore because I needed at least another 1/16" or more of height on the front sight to have gotten it to work. The Encore sights are T/C's 1/4" MOA click adjustable sights and the ones that came on my Omega are a cheap Williams knockoff. Remember it was one of those "Z5" models. Over all though the Omega was user friendly and will be a hoot to shoot after I decide what to do with the sights.

As far as Shockwaves go I think I will just look for the new bonded ones in the future the boxes are not date coded but I know these came out after they fixed the sabot problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Pittsburhunter,
Thisis a picture of thefront and rearsightfrom my Omega. The front sight is 7/16" high. Is that taller than the one that came off the Encore?

Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm the rear sight looks a bit different than the encore one I put on the Omega but the front sight looks the same. The gun is still packed so I can't measure it but I will. I just looked at the Omega sights that I had transferred to the Encore and the front sight is close to a half inch high. I would just put the origional front sight back on but for some silly reason T/C reversed the element colors on the Z5 sights and it would be green on green[:@]
Old 03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Pittsburhunter,
I prefer the green fiber optic up front. Have you thought about a peep sight? You already know how I feel about them.
Let me know if you'd like to give these sights a try on your Omega.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

To be honest I would like a set of plain old square sights for it. I just like them more than any other open sights out there. At this point I may put a scope on the thing but I think I saw in T/C's catolog some target sights so I will check them out as well. Just for giggles I am thinking of pulling out the elements and turning these sights into plain old sights. I am not a fiber optic fan either. Well as far as sights go. Fiber optics is great for telecommunications.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Pittsburghunter,
I guess it's kinda like why there's so many flavors of ice cream.....we all have different tastes.
I know that you'll figure something out and have fun doing it.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yeh we all get our start somewhere as far as our quest for what we like to shoot. When I started my formal/informal shooting I owned scoped and flat blade open sight guns so I just got use to them. I do like peeps but it is hard to find ones that match my style of shooting. Both M1's got it right.