Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

Roskoe: What rifle are you using? I did similar comparison of Black Mag'3 with 777 and found higher velocity with the BM3 although it was with a stainless Omega. I suspect that you may also have a longer barrel rifle. Most of the Ascorbic acid based powders seem to do better in longer barrels. I had some report less velocity with shorter barrels when compared with 777. The softer recoil of the ascorbic acid powders is another result of the slower pressure rise rates compared with 777.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM

Yesterday I was using the Black Diamond XR - stainless 26" barrel.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM

I shot last weekend using the APP powder. I
don't know the difference in straight APP & the
Shockeys Gold. I was using an old antique
chrony so I'm not sure if it was reading correctly.
But as I stated in another post I believe the APP
is a little hotter than pyro or 777. Keep us
posted. Danny

Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been shooting both APP and SG one of the differances I noticed that has not been comented on is that APP seems to be accurate with a wider range of loads than SG. Lee
Old 03-11-2006, 03:03 PM

I found this post interesting and tried to buy some Shokey's today. The owner of the gun shop said it's the same stuff as the American Pioneer only with a different container (he only had the sticks in stock). Does anyone know if that is true or do I have to check on everything this guy tells me now?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: VT Ridges

I found this post interesting and tried to buy some Shockey's today. The owner of the gun shop said it's the same stuff as the American Pioneer only with a different container (he only had the sticks in stock). Does anyone know if that is true or do I have to check on everything this guy tells me now?
Well I personally have not used the Shockey's Gold yet, but have the American Pioneer Powder. From what I have read; While it is true they are made by the same company, I think what he is meaning is the Shockey Gold is screened American Pioneer Powder. Just as Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex Select have a relationship in that Pyrodex Select is a better screened RS so you get more uniformity in the size of the grains. It would be interesting to learn his views on Pinnacle.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, you nailed it I did a bit of checking on that my self, different screens with a narrower gap between max and minimum and a different colored die. But as with 2Fand 3F black it does cause some differances. In my rifles it gives a bit more velocity but is toucher [need to weigh the loads] while APP shoots good groups for me by vol. Lee
Old 03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are right, JSG says in their info. that it gives apprx. 50fps faster. Good stuff I like it.

Roskoe thanks for the update on the speeds, I've been looking forward toyour results.
Thanks,
Old 03-12-2006, 10:29 AM

I am shooting an Encore and interested in trying either the regular APP
or the Shockey Gold. Have been reading alot about the granular sizes
and am not sure rather to buy the 2F or 3F? Any ideas while we are
discussing these two products?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

personally Dondo if you're talking LOOSE American Pioneer Powder, go with the 3f grade. The 2f grade is much too coarse in texture for my liking. Some of it will hardly pour though the funnel of your measure. Also the finer grade should actually burn a little faster and cleaner if it behaves like the other powders. You probably will not notice the difference. I always get the 3f. Your Encore should handle it just fine. After all that's the rifle Jim Shockey is using with his Shockey Gold. Someone told me he uses the 3f grade powder too, butI forget who now.

Keep us posted with your results...

Quick Reply: Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.