Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

I really don't know what the maximum charge would be. Sort of pulled that load out of the air - didn't really work up to it or anything. Chrono kinda surprised me with the 200 grain Shockwave. Like the comparable T7 load, it is very smooth in terms of recoil and groups great. 250 grain load has significantly more bark.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Roskoe what do you get for velocity with T7 ?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

It is a .40 caliber. I also called the Colorado Division of Wildlife law enforcement unit in Denver last week. They confirmed that, while sabots aren't legal during the regular MZ season, any .50 caliber rifle that shoots a bullet of 170 grains or more is OK during the rifle season - regardless of the sabot.
When you talked with DOW, did you clarify if you would hunt deer or elk? The reason I'm asking is that the minimum weight for .45 and below is 170 for regular season deer and this weight is not legal for Elk, at least for regular ML season. During the regular ML season, minimum weight is 220 grains for Elk as it is also the minimum weight for .50 cal.

On the other hand, the DOW requires a lighter minimum weight than that for centerfire rifle and "only" 1000 ft. lbs at 100 yards. Your load blows that requirement out of the water. Even so,I just wanted to ask so that you don't have any problems when you come to hunt in Colorado.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

With the Gold is there any reduction formula like T7?

With the 110 grains I was shooting from the A&H it really did not give a stiff kick it was really comfortable and smooth. What do you figure might bethe max load for a ML'er from your gun?
mike
Hey Mike,

Taquamenon thought a max load for BM3 would be 80% of the rifles 2f BP rating. I think I would use the same rule with JSG for determining a max load. With BM3 one can use less powder and get more velocity. The same, i suspect, is true for JSG. Lessmess,higher velocity, lower pressure, smoother recoil, WOW!,what could be more user friendly than that? Maybe I'll purchase JSG instead of BM3, from what Roskoe said, its considerably cheaper.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the Shockey gold also and I'm going to stick with it. The only problem with it is its avialibility of it I have to go all the way to Maine to get it and I don't get up there but every 3 months or so. I was there Sunday and they were all out (figures right). Have you found much difference between the 2F and the 3F I really want to try the 3F as the 2f will not pour from my flask or my powder mesurer as the granuals are too big.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Good question Mike. Iam interested in trying either ShockeyGold or APP
in my Encore and wondering whetherI should initially invest in 2F or 3F?
I was quoteda price of somewhere around $23.00 a pound for the ShockeyGold at one of the local sporting good stores..
Old 03-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Bsteve: The 110 grains of T7 load (got it from Cayugad) behind the 200 grain shockwave grouped very well for me - but I never did chronograph it. Other loads I have chronoed out of this gun with T7 have been very comparable with what others have posted on this site, though.

Phil: The part of the Colorado regulation the Wildlife official was referring to when I posed that question was subsection d. and e. under the "Muzzleloading Rifles and Smoothbore Muskets" section of the 2006 brochure (page 6). I did mention I was hunting elk. You might re-read subsections e. and f. The minimum to hunt elk and moose is a .50 caliber with a 170 gr. bullet. If you move up to a caliber bigger than .50, the minimum bullet weight goes up to 210 grains. Relative to this load, they are saying that when you hunt in therifle seasons, as long as the weapon is a .50 caliber and the projectile weighs at least 170 grains you are OK. We had a rather extended discussion. I was wondering, like you, ifCF rifle definitions would apply when one used a MZ rifle during the regular rifle seasons.

P.S. I live in Colorado
Old 03-09-2006, 10:44 AM

I was told that this stuff, which bears remarkable resemblence to Kitty Litter, is poured through a screen to segregate the 3F from the 2F. Next time I'm out at the range, I may try 3F and 2F with the same bullet over the chrono. I would suspect 3F would be a little faster; if for no other reason than it is a little denser by virtue of its smaller grain size.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Roskoe,

I'm looking at the 2006 Big Game brochure and you are absolutely right. I don't know if they changed them or if I had been reading something which was never there to begin with. I can't find my 2005 brochure, so I can't even check. I don't have many gray hairs, but they must be beginning to pile up on me. If you remember, I was also thinking that it took a minimum of .54 calibler to hunt elk with roundball. I also noticed that instead of specifying clear shot, pyrodex, etc., they just say black powder or black powder substitute.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM

I think you are right. Must have changed more than a year ago, though- don't see that part in the 2005 brochure either. Roskoe

Quick Reply: Jim Shockey Gold: Pretty speedy stuff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.