Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Simple Green…how much to dilute ???

Old 03-08-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Simple Green…how much to dilute ???

Simple Green users - If I buy the economy jug and dilute it myself, what ratio would you recommend? By the way, I plan on using this solution as a field cleaning agent; pulling the plug on my Encore after 15 shots or so and squirting some down to barrel followed by a few patches. Gonna stick with hot soapy water and rifle solvent for final cleaning at home.

Again, what Simple Green dilution would you recommend for field cleaning applications? Any other recommendations for using Simple Green would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys…
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Simple Green…how much to dilute ???

Hunter John

I can help you with the dillution rate but I do have a question. Why do you feel it is necessary to pull the plug after 15 shots and squirting some down the barrel? Just curious...

Old 03-08-2006, 09:42 AM

Sabot – That’s an honest question. I purchased about 4 lbs. of Pyrodex RS and a bunch of regular shotgun primers just before the cleaner primers and powders became really popular and now want to burn them on the range experimenting with various loads. I have to admit, I’m a bit spoiled by APP and Kleanbore and the ease of loading that goes along with using these products even after firing 15 or 20 shots. With Pyrodex and regular shotgun primers, it takes a bit of an effort sometimes with the range rod to get the projectile seated after firing 15- 20 shots…and that’s with swabbing with the 50/50 mix spoken so often here.

Anyway, just thought if would be a minor inconvenience to pull the plug (I removed the silly primer holder on my Encore so pulling the plug is easy) and use some inexpensive cleaner to field clean the barrel.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts…
Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunter John

I keep forgetting about Pyro....I never did use to much of the stuff then t7 cane out...

thanks mike
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I mix my simple green strong... like 1/3 SG to 2/3rds water, but then, I clean some nasty stuff with it.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Speaking of pulling the breech plug every so often - - when I went out last Saturday, I was so engrossed in shooting and recording different bullet info that I forgot all about the breech plug (I'm relatively new to the inline game). I shot about 30 shots using Pyro pellets. When I got home, I thought I was going to have to put the gun in a vise to get the plug to break loose!
I finally got it, but it was really tough - and I didn't even tighten it when I put it in, just finger tight.
Now I have some 777 loose - I'll see how that compares. Just hope I don't get the dreaded "crud ring".

Old 03-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

Jerry I have another one of those theories about breech plugs - I am at work right now and the write up is at home --- tonight when I get home I'll post it... I shot the Omega this week end 33 shots on Saturday - 100/110 grains of T7 Tuesday last night I thought I have better get the breech plug out and clean of that are - spun right out not a problem - it all about getting it sealed from the barrel....

mike
Old 03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I use to have problems with my breech plugs untill I started wrapping the threadswith teflon tape I also wrap my nipples. Now no problem.

James M.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Pink or white teflon tape?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple Green…how much to dilute ???
================================================== =======

For field use between shots, the thinner - the better!

What works best are swabbing cleaners that dry fast. The last thing you want to see are a large pile of used patches after a range visit -- majority used to dry-out your bore before loading.

The best field cleaners for typical inlines is 70% rubbing (isoprophyl) alcohol. It cuts all your fouling & dries real fast. Usually both sides of (1) dry patch is all that's needed with regular swabbing habits (2-3 shots).

Quick Reply: Simple Green…how much to dilute ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.