Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Rolling Block Muzzleloader by Pedersoli?

Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Cabelas Rolling Block Muzzleloader by Pedersoli?

Has anyone had any experience with the copy of a Remington Rolling block that is a .50 cal. muzzleloader made by Pedersoli? It is sold through Cabelas. Here is a link where it was tested. Any thoughts?
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/fieldtests3.html
Here it is on Cabelas for sale
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0031464 213911a&navCount=1&podId=0031464&paren tId=cat601141&navAction=push&catalogCode=X F&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601 141&hasJS=true

Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Rolling Block Muzzleloader by Pedersoli?

1) World's most difficult muzzleloader to break down & clean.
2) Pretty good accuracy - but not great because the deep grooves and 1-24" twist say-so.
3) Alittle on the heavy side.

The nice wood & overall looks caught my eye. But the T/C Omega and Knight Vision make more sense at purchase time.

I judge those three rifles like I do American Pioneer versus 777. You can go longer without cleaning using AP.... it has less mess per shot, but the reason we buy powders is for hunting purposes & 777 is more user firendly with all MLs & more powerful grain-per-grain.

Some things just make more sense when we add, multiply & divide everythingup looking for the final answer.

Just my opnion....
Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

1) World's most difficult muzzleloader to break down & clean.
2) Pretty good accuracy - but not great because the deep grooves and 1-24" twist say-so.
3) Alittle on the heavy side.
I can't speak for the rolling block's cleaning characteristics. I don't own one nor have I handled one. I purchased another Pedersoli model, a Brutus, but when it arrived, I did not like the way it broke down. I was really torn, because I did not want to let go of the barrel as Pedersoli barrels are highly respected. I wound up sending it back to Cabelas and getting a SS Sidekick,based on the advice of Randy Wakeman. I now wishthat I had not.

As far as "deep grooves" saying that the rifle's accuracycan not be "great". I can not tell you how deep the grooves are. In my Sidekick, the grooves are .009 deep, I don't know if those are deep grooves or not. But with respect to Pedersoli barrels, this I can tell you. They are cut from stock a foot longer than the finished barrel. The rifling is cut, not button rifled. The bore is lapped. Pedersoli barrels are respected and find their way in to target competitions where they do quite well. See link below.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?item=news&news=campionato2004&amp ;lang=en

As far as being on the "heavy side". 8.6 lbs is not heavy for a muzzleloading rifle. Can you buy a lighter muzzle loader?. Of course you can. My Sidekick is too light in my way of thinking. It doesn't need be 2 lbs lighter than my 7mm Mag when I'm shooting loads with more recoil than a 7mm Mag. All other things being equal, personally, I would opt for an 8.6 lbrifle over a 7.5 lb rifle ANY day of the week.

Ultimately, neither I nor T7 are qualified to tell you how good, how bad, how accurate, or how precisethe Rolling block ML is. Neither one of us own one.I stronglyurge you todiscuss it with someone who owns one. Go to a local Cabelas and see one for yourself. If you order one from Cabelas, and don't like the way it breaks down, you can alwayscallto return it. They are great that way. Only I think you should have an alternate rifleyou wish to purchase from them, if you return it.

Anyway, should you purchase one, please let us know how well it performs.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I was under the impression that triple se7en did own a rolling block at one time. I might be wrong. Also triple se7en's advise he has offered me over the years we have interacted online, has been top shelf. I highly respect his opinion. Of course this is only my opinion.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I was under the impression that triple se7en did own a rolling block at one time. I might be wrong. Also triple se7en's advise he has offered me over the years we have interacted online, has been top shelf. I highly respect his opinion. Of course this is only my opinion.
cayugad,

T7'sopinion was not disrespected. If T7 owned a rolling block by Pedersoli, then it would have been appropriate for T7 to discuss his own experience by stating his own experience. If he owned one, he could state that in his experience the accuracy wasn't great, rather relying on the rifling to "say" it.

I'm sorry. When I read T7's post it just comes across like. "AP you interest in the rolling block is silly. The gun stinks, this is where you should spend your hard earned money, and by the way, your choice in powder is no better than your choice of rifle" Really, do you think that T7 gave a fair appraisal of the Rolling block AP has an interest in?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Whether valid, fair or not, all opinions by any poster,are on a take it or leave it basis. Since I have no first hand experience with the rifle, I voiced no opinion on the rifle. I have "read" numerous opinions from owners about the rolling block since I once considered a purchase of one. I am guessing thosethat discussed them, as being more intensive to clean because of hard to reach parts and areas as honest. Some reported real good accuracy. Ones definition of real good could be far different then another. Pedersoli are excellent rifles for the most part.

My post concerning Triple Se7en centered on my belief that he was or maybe still is a owner of a RB. I also tried to validate his opinion based on my past experiences with him,is all.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM

My hunting partner uses one of these. It is a little more detailed to clean than my T/C rifles, but he has one load he uses for everything - so the gun doesn't get shot much. It is fairly accurate and appears to have a "looser" barrel than the T/C rifles. He considers the weight to be a blessing - steady to hold and absorbs a lot of the recoil. Overall, a fairly handsome gun with a nostalgic lines.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My post concerning Triple Se7en centered on my belief that he was or maybe still is a owner of a RB. I also tried to validate his opinion based on my past experiences with him,is all.
Cayugad,

I have the sense that you felt T7's opinionhad been disrespected and that his position needed defending. It never was my intention tocompete with T7's opinion. I don't have an opinion about the Rolling Block which should be clear from my post.

That said, I do feel that the Rolling Block is worthy of AP's consideration, if for no other reason, merely because he did consider it. I mentioned what I know of Pedersoli's manufacturing process and their reputation among world champion muzzleloading marksmen. I felt it worthy of mention, not to advocate the RB, merely to give AP some fodder to chew on. As far as whether the RB is "on the heavy side", T7 is in no better position to know whether the RB is "too heavy" for AP,than I am to know whether the recoil of T7's lighter rifles is "too much" for T7.

It seems to me that there is too much advocating and too much demonizing going on here in the forumabout products and the companies that make them. Everything doesn't add, subtract, multiply and divide just the way T7 claims. I like a heavier rifle than T7 does, even you don't mind pouring a cup of coffee to sip while you clean the action (whichever rifle it was) that othersfound a problem to clean.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

If anyone has one they want to trade for a brand new Omega Z5 let me know

Life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the sense that you felt T7's opinionhad been disrespected and that his position needed defending. It never was my intention tocompete with T7's opinion. I don't have an opinion about the Rolling Block which should be clear from my post.

That said, I do feel that the Rolling Block is worthy of AP's consideration, if for no other reason, merely because he did consider it. I mentioned what I know of Pedersoli's manufacturing process and their reputation among world champion muzzleloading marksmen. I felt it worthy of mention, not to advocate the RB, merely to give AP some fodder to chew on. As far as whether the RB is "on the heavy side", T7 is in no better position to know whether the RB is "too heavy" for AP,than I am to know whether the recoil of T7's lighter rifles is "too much" for T7.

It seems to me that there is too much advocating and too much demonizing going on here in the forumabout products and the companies that make them. Everything doesn't add, subtract, multiply and divide just the way T7 claims. I like a heavier rifle than T7 does, even you don't mind pouring a cup of coffee to sip while you clean the action (whichever rifle it was) that othersfound a problem to clean.

Happy Hunting, Phil
===========================================

When youuse the word "demonizing" in a reply with my name as the main focal point of attention in the post Mr.Phil, please attach one of my "demonizing" sentences for reference right along with it next time. Also...please copy & paste whereI stated that I do not like a bit-heavy rifle. I have never stated that in any ML post/thread in my life.

Up until three years ago, I owned the Pedersoli (Cabelas) Rolling Blockfor eight years. You will need a jumbocup of coffee breaking down & cleaning that Rolling Block. You will alsoneed to drink that jumbo cup of javareal slow - perhaps reheat that coffee once or twice in themicrowavetoo.

I was running late for work this morning - otherwise I would of mentioned that today's overwhelming sabot users will have a difficult time finding T/C-Knight guaranteed accuracy success with the RB-- reason-being the sub-1-28" twist with deep cut, eight lands & groove bore is generally not "plastic engagement" friendly.

In my opinion/in my situation, the Rolling Blockis a better conical shooter than sabot shooter -- most happy with 240-370 grain conicals. Cabelas gave me 100% of my purchase money back after eight years use when I brought in one day for repair on a primer firing pin - that sits on the open/shut door to the breechplug.

I took the entire purchase money from 1995 ... ie... ($279)... and applied it -- then $220 more -on the Omega I now own. I wore a bright smile from the moment I was handed the new boxof my Omega-- well... I'm still smiling three years later.

I sure hope your Corn Flakes taste better tomorrow Phil...

Quick Reply: Cabelas Rolling Block Muzzleloader by Pedersoli?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.