Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

stocks

Old 03-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Default stocks

Does a pistol grip stock have advantages over a straight stock?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Default RE: stocks

I dont know if there are any measurable advantages, kinda like asking what gun is best. As many folks on this forum you will get answers.

I personally almost bought a Thumbhole stock for my Omega. I really like the way they feel and when it is on my shoulder I think it is possibly a little bit more stable because of the insertion of the tumb into the stock.

However, I walked aound the store with one in my hand for about half an hour and it got a little cumbersome fast so I decided not to get one.

Another potential disadvantage is in my opinion they severly limit off hand shooting ability and knowing my luck the biggest buck I will ever get a shot at will be from the wrong side and I will have to take that type shot...Murphy's Law and all.

But it shore did feel good on my shoulder!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:09 PM

not thumbhole stock, pistol grip stock. I think this is the correct term for it. incase it isn't what i mean by pistol grip is like what a 870 would have, and smooth i mean like older shotguns, where they are just smooth from triger guard to butt.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM

I was just wondering because the other day i was at scheels shouldering some new shotguns and i prefered the smooth, but it seems like all the modern guns have the pistol grip stock.

This probably isn't the best forum to put this question in, but i enjoy the black powder forum more than any of the rest.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM

Evidently I think faster than I type...

My story was supposed to relate that in much the same way I was in love with a thumbhole stock I decided to stay with the original stock on the weapon. Kind of a parallel.

You should handle a weapon with the stock you are considering, and see how it feels. That should be your guide as to weather you personally will be happy with it or not. Had I not handled it I would not have made this discovery about the off hand shot or how it would feel awkward after a while.

All the extra glitter some of the companies come up with are just a gimick to get folks to the market and dont necessarily come to a hill of beans.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:38 PM

ahh I see now. Definate parallel. Point well taken.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

with practice it should not make a difference. I have all of the styles other then the thumb hole. With practice, I never even think about it anymore.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:23 PM

I can't say it makes any big difference, but I
really like the thumbhole stock on my Omega.
I think using it with the Army approved, sling
method it is easier to stabalize for an off-hand
shot. And bench shooting is really nice with 100gr.
charge, one hand in the thumhole makes a nice
shooting cradle. Just my 2-cents. Danny
Old 03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

QTompkins2005,
I prefer rifle stocks with a pistol grip. I think they are easier to hold when I'm on stand. I very seldom sit when I'm in a treestand and I like to hold my rifle with the muzzle pointing straight down. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable and easier to hang ontofor me. I also believe it feels better and offers more controlwhen I shoulder the rifle. I'm also a big fan of thumbhole stocks....they feel great.
It's a personal preference thing and it's more important to go with what feels the best for you. I wouldn't go by looks. IMO, I think the thumbhole stocks are a little on the ugly side, but that doesn't keep me from buying or owning one. They feel really good to me despite their looks.