Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crush Rib sabots

Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crush Rib sabots

I finally got out to the range this a.m. I wanted to try the Harvester crush rib sabot/250 gr. Shock Wave in my 50 cal. Omega. For my first shot I used a 300 gr. hornady XTP with a green sabo and 2 50 gr. 777 pellets. I just wanted to foul the barrel to see how the crush rib would load. The crush rib/ S.W. combo loaded very easily, just moderate pressure on the ram rod. I really think T/C packed the wrong sabots with my S.W.'s. The bullet doesn't fit the sabot right, the sabot appears to be right for a 44 cal pill. Next time I'll try loose 777 and the crush ribs for accuracy. I also fired 10 350 gr. Maxi Hunters with 80 gr. of Pyro R.S. to iron out the bore, next time I'll shoot the other 10 Maxis.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crush Rib sabots

I was shooting some of the crushed rib Harvester sabots in .452 diameter using a 450 grain pure lead flat nose .452 projectile the other day. I was loading them in my Green Mountian Stainless Steel Barrel. As you said, I could push the projectile under the crown with just my thumb and then without the use of a short starter and just the range rod, could easily seat the projectile down on the powder charge. The accuracy was very good also....
Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

bsteve

If you are shooting 44's, the crush rib might be your best bet. There is not a lot of options when it comes to 44 cal. I have heard, but I keep forgetting to ask Del, but i was told that MMP was making a special sabot for TC to allow easier loading of its encore/omega series of ml guns. I wish i could say go get a HPH-24 50/44 but they do not make one thati know of...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Although I had pretty good luck with the 50/.451 Crush Rib Sabots, the 50/.429 (green) didn't work as well. Tried them in both my Black Diamond XR and Omega - accuracy was poor and the sabots were really coming apart - using 130 grains of Pyrodex and 110 gr. of JSG. Might be OK with milder charges . . .
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

The other day shooting those 450 grain chunks of lead, I only was shooting 80 grains of Swiss 2f and believe me, that seemed to have plenty of power behind it..
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'm shooting 45 cal. 250 gr. Shock Waves. I have a small assortment of sabot/bullets, but I like the pointy bullets for their ballistics. Where I hunt 200 yard shots are common. I'm going to try some Dead Centers before deer season, the reports on them have been good.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

bsteve

There was a time/run that TC was putting the wrong sabot with the 45/250's

Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original Cayugad:

The other day shooting those 450 grain chunks of lead, I only was shooting 80 grains of Swiss 2f and believe me, that seemed to have plenty of power behind it..
I would agree. But Roskoe likes to ding a 9" inch gong at 200 yards . Cayugad, you said the accuracy was good. Would you please expand on that? Range, rifle, precision of group, scope or open sights? I've considered a similar combination. Thanks.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I was playing with all kinds of loads that day. I was shooting a Green Mountain Stainless Steel Barrel with a 1-28 twist with open sights. This 3" limb was out in the woods leaning on a tree at 35 yards. I decided to see how many shots it would take to cut the tree limb in half. Well it took four shots to the center of the limb. The interesting thing is with 80 grains of Swiss and these big chunks of lead, they were passing through the limb and a tree that was 10 inches approximately on the stump. Lots of thump there. The accuracy was excellent.

I was shooting off a rest, but you can see where the major hits were grouping on the limb. It was really doing a good job, and I intend to give them a better testing on paper next week...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original: cayugad

It was really doing a good job, and I intend to give them a better testing on paper next week...
It would be great toread your results, please do share your findings .

Happy Hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: Crush Rib sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.