Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex Powder

Old 02-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Goex Powder

I was reading my Blackpowder Hunting magazine today
and ran across an add for Goex E-Z loads. From what
I found these are basically Goex in pellet form. I have
wanted to try some Goex in my Omega but I'm not
a loose powder person. On the web-site they state
that with a 300gr. projectile, & 2-50 E-Z loads you can
expect MV of 1850 + or - for 50 cal. Was wondering
if anyone had tried these? And what the results
were? I really like the Barnes 300gr. Expander &
if these pellets burn clean,as advertised, I will be in
business Any info will be appreciated. After some
further investigation they are Pinnacle pellets. But
would still like to know if anyone has used them.
Danny
Old 02-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex Powder

If these pellets are black powder, I do not think you are going to get a clean burning powder. Goex Black Powder can really fowl out a barrel fast. Are you sure this is not some Pinnacle or something?

---------------------------------------------------

I did some checking and I was right, E-Z load is nothing more then Pinnacle in pellet form. I have shot a lot of loose Pinnacle. I like the powder. It gives excellent ignition, no fowling, no swabbing, easy cleaning, and good power. I see no reason why the pellets would not shoot well. Whether they will like the rifle and projectile, only your rifle knows for sure..

Old 02-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Speaking of pellets, How is your little excursion into them working out Cayugad?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to admit this but I am really impressed with the accuracy I am getting with a number of different loads shooting pellets. My Black Diamond XR really seems to shoot pellets and shockwaves with exceptional accuracy.

My big complaint on pellets is their cost. I would have never bought them except I got a good deal on them..
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

The first 5 years or so pellets were all I shot out of the Encore but after Triple Se7en came out I was totally amazed how easy the stuff was to shoot and how many more shots per $ I got so I swore them off. I did get some T7 pellets that I was going to build up loads with Shockwaves with but These were the first Shockwaves with the bad sabots and I just went back to my old tried and true Hornaday Interlock/ mag sabot combo with loose T7.

I never gave the T7 pellets an honest shake. They could be very good shooting but I ended up only shooting about 10 rounds with them and Powerbelts and I hate to admit it now but they shot outstanding at about 50yds.

Again nothing like how good 120g loose T7 shoots but I was surprized how good they shot and how little recoil they had.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
".....Goex Black Powder can really fowl out a barrel fast....."
Now, now Cayugad...we need to keep ourbalance here......don't want someone reading this and going away with a mistaken conclusionthat black powder fouls terribly...

As I do every weekend, I shot another 50 patched round balls this morning using Goex 3F ina .50cal Flintlock andas always, I never wiped between shots a single time...this morning I used Hoppes BP Plus patch lube...the issue with fouling in people's barrels is directly relatedto the type of lubesused inthem.

It is truethat real black powder does not do well in bores that are maintained with petroleum based products...and thisis why non-petroleumtype lubes are normally used with real BP so there is no fouling problem.

Nothing better than shooting an entire 50 shot range session with Goex black powder and never having to waste time wiping the bore between shots...it's the only way I like to shoot.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Of most powders out there.. black powder will still produce the most fowling in a bore if you compared it to the other powders out there. I agree I shoot black powder all the time and will often times shoot the entire session without problems whether shooting traditional or inlines.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Of most powders out there.. black powder will still produce the most fowling in a bore if you compared it to the other powders out there. I agree I shoot black powder all the time and will often times shoot the entire session without problems whether shooting traditional or inlines.
Actually, Pyrodex produces a littlemore fouling than my Goex...but it's still so little that I don't have to wipe between shots with it either.

The type oflube is the key...when there's only a trace of fouling to begin with and itremains soft because of the lube,it'swiped off the bore walls every timethe next patched ball is seated and is thenejectedwith the next shot...cycle repeats andthere's never more than a sinlge shot's worth offouling in the bore and just a trace at that.

BTW,I've been using Hoppes BP Plus as a patch lube during this winter's low humidity dry days and the stuff is incredible.
WhileNatural Lube 1000 let's me shoot without wiping between shots March-November, I couldn't do that during the dry months of Dec/Jan/February without melting more NL1000 into the patches in the microwave...but thisliquid Hoppes is somuch easier to use, just squirt a little on 100 patches in a ziploc, shake them around for 10 seconds and go to the range...it's a little pricey so I'll just use it during the winter months but it sure simplifies things.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

As you might be aware, I tried a .54 caliber barrel following Sabotloader and your instructions with the Bore Butter, again. Having used Bore Butter in the past and having some rather bad experiences with it, I wanted to prove to myself that your method of using bore butter was easy and produced better results then my current procedure. I really saw no advantage in loading the Bore Butter barrel over the same type of barrel I treated with Birchwood Casey Bore products. As far a the need to swab, fowling, etc. again no real benifit. I also saw no increase in accuracy.

What I did find was Bore Butter seemed a real pain to use. If weget to the topic of ease of use, the Bore Butter was definitely a looser. After cleaning the barrel in basically the same manner as I did with with the Birchwood Casey products, back to bare metal, I then had to heat the barrel up with boiling water, dry patch it bone dry (and hope you missed nothing), then apply a large amount of bore butter to the HOT barrel,smear/melt the bore butterin the hot barrel, then work the bore butter into the bore of the barrel, then later patch out the excess. With the Birchwood Casey Sheath on the sameclean barrel, I swabbed the bore clean with solvent. I patched it dry with a couple of dry patches and I swabbed the bore with a Sheath oiled patch and was done.

Perhaps it is the weather conditions of our areas that give you such excellent results, perhaps it is still my lack of application of the product that failed which is probably the case, or perhaps it was not in the stars for me to use bore butter. As in the past, I began to get at first minor tobacco stain patches out of the rifle, and then later even more intense tobacco stain patches. Seeing this, I did not wait for the accuracy to go south. I simply removed the bore butter and went back to my own known working proven method of barrel treatment.

The use of bore butter or what ever product in my rifle is not effected by petrolum products as I swab the barrel clean before I load anything. The only difference I can see is while I start my shooting on a clean dry barrel, you begin on a treated barrel. If I find it necessary to swab once or twice during my shooting session, it is a cross I have to bare.

Now the Hoppies BP Plus does sound like something I might be interested in looking further into. I will place that on my list of things to get to try. Although I do like the Birchwood Casey products, I am always looking for something better. I was not aware this was a patch lube. You use this then like I do the moosemilk?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM

I believe that Goex E-Z Loads are Pinnacle in "stick" form, not real blackpowder. Pinnacle is Goex's new balck powder substitute.

Quick Reply: Goex Powder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.