Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New trigger guard and lever cock for Omega.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New trigger guard and lever cock for Omega.

That might be doable but I don't think it would gain you much in the way of effective size. Your finger would still be the same distance from the front of the guard. You would simply have more downward protrusion and more chance of it snagging on something.

When you pull the Omega barreled action from the stock, you will see the hammer and trigger are (or at least were) only two major pieces. I was fascinated by the inter-relationships of those two pieces. They may look simple.. they are anything but. Angles and curves that produce exact timings by virtue of their dimensions and shapes, I'm sure you would be looking at what had to involve substantial CAD assistance. Changing even slightly just one of those dimensional properties could easily render the rifle inoperable. This discussion makes me wish I had another one here to tear apart.

The new X7 does appear to be somewhat different at least in the exposed elements of that action design - will be very interesting to see what else might have been altered. I'm hoping that new trigger guard does offer some benefit but will likely have to tear one down just to be sure. Science, you know?

Old 02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I really don't have a problem with the size of the guard ( but I don't wear thick gloves unless they have a thin trigger finger). As far as with the gun un-cocked, I was always taught to keep my finger OFF of the trigger untill I was ready to pull it. When the gun is cocked there is enough room for me. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC

I am at school so this one will be a short one... I am thinking if I had an extra trigger guard to play with, I would take it to a jeweler or a machinist. I think you could re-size it just as if you were resizing a ring for your finger. Cut it off front and back insert two small pieces to push the trigger guard downre-weld and polish. If I had the part I think I might really try this... not sure of it looks or if it is practical....

mike
Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the trigger guard is usable at least for me ,but if it were big enough you could hook your thumb in it to open the action then I could cut that awful knob off. Lee
Old 02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe someone should ask TC if they sell larger trigger guards as an option.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a problem with the size of the trigger guard, just the fact that the trigger jumps so far forward when you pull it. If they just redesigned the trigger itself so that it would act like a normal trigger, I would be happy.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

At least it doesn't jump forward till you release it. Test firing (with a dead primer) the trigger doesn't snap back but that is without a live load. I also can fit my finger in fine when cocked but that is gloveless and almost all hunting around here is cold weather.