Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester crushrib sabot

Old 02-17-2006, 05:58 PM

Default RE: Harvester crushrib sabot

mayguy: Here is the info I have from Tony Cain
national sales mgr. for Harvester.

E-mail: [email protected]
Office: 270-827-4953
Fax: 270-827-4972
Cell: 270-454-1621

When I e-mailed him about the Crushrib sabots
he answered me on a Sunday afternoon. This
information will get you through to him and how
to purchase.
I hope this helps......Danny
Old 02-17-2006, 09:11 PM

I agree with Triple 7 - the Harvester are a little easier. It's close, though.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I agree with Triple 7 - the Harvester are a little easier. It's close, though.
The comparison isclose in the winter times like now -- but when it gets warm outdoors & inside your bore, I find there is a compound in the MMP HPH-24 that makes it a tad sticky on the plastic exterior of the sabot. It seems to soften - then stickywhere the Harvester remains more firm & drywhen heated beyond a temperature that I cannot put a finger on.

Perhaps I need to develop a bore thermometer.... bettter yet... this would be a good project for poster Underclocked!

Where is Rich?

Old 02-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks aquatech for the info to get hold of Harvester, and thanks to everyone else who has responded.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, I did a very minimal job of lapping on my Omega Z5 to get rid of some burrs and put a light polish on it so it would clean with out cutting up the patches; I can not believe how much differance it made the Shock Waves fit perfect now and load fairly easy and the Chrushribs I bought about fall down but they won't group so good as the regular I am thinking you have to have a really tight bore to shoot them good unless it just my gun. Lee
Old 02-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya cain't put a finger on dat dern temperature - it's too hot.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

You can get to loose! and I really believe it will effect accuracy as well as velocity.

If you are able to load the SW's now comfortably that is great. The sabot should be a MMP HPH-24. So with that sabot and any .451/452 bullet you really should be set.

I was shooting the A&H again today doing some testing. It was mid 20's in temp. The 452 Speers in HPH-24's did load tight this morning, I could still push it down the bore with my thumb and palm pressure from the other hand, but it took both hands on the range rod to seat them. 451 Speers went down piece of cake. I have used "crush ribs" in this gun but they dow fit a little to loose, but good enough for a quick second shot while hunting.

The blue MMP HPH-40 cal with a Hornady 200 grain XTP were really tight. Tight enough that I might not use them with this particular gun but I am sure they would be OK in the Remingtons or any of the Green Mountain 1/28 Hawken barrels.

Polishing the barrel with something like JB's is a good thought. Use to be I would shoot a bunch of conicals from a new barrel to smooth it out also. I would use JB's as the conical lube.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

My crush ribs came yesterday. I haven't tried them in my Omega yet . Today I noticed that the 250 gr. ShockWaves fit them alot better than the black sabots that came with the SWs. I think T/C may have screwed up and packed 44 cal sabots, the petals bulge and the bullet doesn't seat all the way into the sabot. With the crush ribs the bullet drops right in and doesn't expand the petals. Might be why they were so hard to load.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve

You will like the no-grunt loading with them also.

If using magnum powder charges of 777, check the condition of the blown sabot afterwards for damage or over/under petal flare... maybe even missing petals or petals with holes.

We need more reports on the Crush Ribs with 777.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,They are a bit loose compared to what I normally look for, but they will group only an inch larger than the shock Waves[2 inch @100yd] which means a really fast second shot if needed. I think they have a place in my cabnet. Lee

Quick Reply: Harvester crushrib sabot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.