Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

dull your brass for hunting

Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default dull your brass for hunting

i have been using camo tape on my brass to keep shine off during hunting for whitetail bucks.what do you use to take shine off during hunting.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 PM

Default RE: dull your brass for hunting

Take you'r first cleaning patch (the realy black one) and rub it over the brassit will tarnish it leaving it dull and non-reflective.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

In all the years I've hunted with my Hawkins.. I never found the shine off the brass as a problem. In fact I keep the brass on my rifles shined to a high gloss. I'm not even sure if the animals I hunt have ever noticed. I've shot a lot of deer with Hawkins. Although my Renegades have no brass parts and they are my favorite rifle.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

Easy - I use a Renegade... well actually I did, but I do often usea hawken the brass is darken just from age but other than that nothing special. Just plain movement is a bigger problem for me than the brass patch box ornose piece. We do not use tree stands here, mostly we are moving on the ground ourselves, trying to stalk the animals or post up at a crossing.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

they will notice, for sure.deer are hunted harder than ever now.1 mistake here in pa. in BIG WOODS ,its all over.privateland thats different here but publicland, no shiny brass.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i have been using camo tape on my brass to keep shine off during hunting for whitetail bucks.what do you use to take shine off during hunting.
Old wives tale...I keep my TC Hawken's brassso polished up I can see my teeth in them...never caused me any problems deer hunting...deer notice movement, not colors...there are normally occasional reflections from things in the woods, sun off a glistening wet leaf or iced tree trunk, or puddle of water, pond, wet icy rock, etc...just stay still, quiet, and downwind

(plus,clean shiny muzzleloaders look better in the deer photos )
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

whatever.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

whatever.
Whatever ????
Old 02-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

What ever? That's about what I hunt with. Shiney or dull.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I figure that if the deer can see your brass you're not hidden well enough in the first place .

Quick Reply: dull your brass for hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.