Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

dull your brass for hunting

Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: dull your brass for hunting

I personally do not see an issue at all or a disagreement. Just a personal choice of hunting techniques. If a person feels dulling the shine of the brass on their rifle an advantage then by all means, do it. Like wise, if a person feels it makes no difference and leaves the brass a high gloss shine, then that too is a personal preference.

What I do like to see is the exchange of opinion and information between each other. It's what makes forums like this of such value.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

You did not say Turkey in the orgial post - Turkey is a whole 'nother subject - those buzzards have an incredible eyesight and you have to get them in the nest with you before you can shoot one. If you spook one and they take off running - hitting that running target is really difficult. A deer you can freeze a 75 yards and still get a great shot - no so with a Turkey - dull the whole gun - face, hands, body, and boots...

Old 02-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

bronko22000,
I have no experience using Birchwood Casey's Brass Black. I didn't even know there was such a product on the market. I was wondering how even is the finish? Do you have access to a digital camera to take a few photos for us?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Encoreman - I can try but everytime I try to post a pic in here I get a message that the photo is too big. If you like I can send you an email pic of my rifle.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Spike

I hunted with full orange clothes and deer was stand 5 yards away. I don't think Brass, Orange or any colors will makes any different. The only two things that will alert deer are odor and movement.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:45 PM

I dont think it is the color that is in question here, its the potential for a flash from the polished brass that may spook deer that is the main thread of the question... Polished or Dulled.

I personally dont think polished brass is the problem, even if the sun does catch it and there is a momentary flash. I have seen the same thing in a thousand places on a dewy morning with leaves, spiderwebs and such catching sunlight, or if there is snow, etc.

The movement that causes the flash is what gets the attention of the deer, they may not see in color, but they sure do see movement especially when all other things in the woods are still.

If at all possible I try to move when there is a bit of a breeze, if a few leaves are flickering it is much safer for a hunter to make an adjustment and not get noticed.

Also I have noted that deer dont usually spook on one sense, it usually takes two or more. They smell something and notice movement, or they see and hear something at the same time.

The reason I say this is I have turned to see deer standing looking dead at mewhen I didnt know they were there. They saw me turn my head in their direction, but had not scented me nor heard anything that would alarm them.

One case in particular, therewas a doe moving around in front of my stand one afternoon. She had been there about 15 minutes when I lost sight of her, my attention had been directed at some movemnt in a tree line and I was hoping for a visit from Mr Rack-o-rama.

I looked over the edge of my stand and there she was directly under my standlooking dead at me from below. She had to have seen me, but I hadnt made a single sound and am always very careful to be as scent free as I can be. Twice she lowered her head and then quickly looked back up, but I stayed where I was even though I have always been led to believe you should never look an animal in the eye. She ended up staying in the area another half an hour before she slowly browsed her way to where I could no longer see her again, unfortunately no visit as I had hoped.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but this does at least give a littletwist as to what spooks deer.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Spike

I completely agreed with you. I should be reading carefully before response to this question! Don’t be sorry for a long comment. I think your observation answered all of the questions! Thanks for clearing up.