Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cabelas black powder pistols

Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Default cabelas black powder pistols

does anybody have any experience with these. I was just looking for a fun weekend pistol. I was thinking the 1851 navy with the brass frame "its the cheapest" thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cabelas black powder pistols

I bought the 1858 because I didn't like the idea of having a revolver without a "whole frame" I know they work fine but something about that bugs me.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Like Pittsburghunter, I also bought the 1858 New Army target model for a couple reasons. The top strap will really add a lot of support to the revolver shot you ever accidentially get a hot load or a chain fire. I also think the top strap helps in aiming the revolver.

I personally went the extra and got the target model. Sure am glad I did. A friend of mine bought the standard model. Granted, while it is a great shooter, my target model just seems to be a little better at holding groups. I shoot 25 grains of Goex 3f and a .451 roundball with a wad over the powder and some lube over the ball.

When you shoot them should you purchase one, make sure you wipe out the inside of the revolver frame and the cylinder locking rod. It will help with loading in the future. Believe me, forget to wipe it out and it can be a bear getting the locking rod to slide back and release the cylinder.

The revolvers are a lot of fun. Besides punching holes in paper, they make an excellent bunny and squirrel weapon. You might not get as many but it sure is fun to try...
Old 02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you had a chain fire? What doese it do and what is it like?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a chain fire with my first black powder revolver and it is not something I would care to repeat... In fact my first revolver was an 1851 Navy Colt (reproduction of course) and the chain fire resulted in stretching the frame of the revolver a little. This stretched frame became apparent every time you would shoot, because a small amount of the ball would be shaved and splatter all over the place when you shot it. I took it to a gun smith and that's the first thing he asked was, did you have a chain fire? He cut the frame back but I never trusted the revolver again, and sold it to a person that wanted a wall hanger.

That was another reason why I got the 1858 New Army model with the top strap. They are just a stronger made revolver IMO.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Chain Fire - I was with a guy once who had a chain fire as I was standing next to (and slightly behind) him. 4 of the 6 cylinders went off, spraying bullets and HALF bullets (those that went past the frame on their way out) all over the place. At the time, we didn't think about whether it damaged the gun or not, but as I recall, it didn't shoot very well after that.

IM jaybe

Old 02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I like some on here have the 1858Rem.Army. I load 30grs of Pyrodex P-fffg, tap a wad over the powder, pour enough Cream of Wheat so the round ball is even with the cylinder and apply bore butter over the ball and scrap flush with the cylinder. I have been firing it for 10yrs without any chain firing!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

As I'm remembering that day my friend had the chain fire, I recall that he put Crisco over the balls, but I also recall him being rather careless and having flakes of powder embedded in the Crisco, visible from the front.
There must have been enough to ignite from the flash between the cylinder and barrel. Once one went off, that started the chain fire.
Scary! - But I'm still smilin'

SORRY - I think we've hijacked this thread. The original question was concerning recommendations for a good BP Pistol.

IM jaybe