Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Power belt bullets

Old 02-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Power belt bullets

I guess that their compulsion to stick with that design of hollow point is understandable as some people want bullets that blow up instead of penetrating. Personally a nice round nose with a small hollow point that acted more like a round ball would be more like it, as the design it self is not for long range. Lee
Old 02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

those powerbelts are nice on a flintlock .50cal shooting 80 or 90 grs of 2f geox.i use 80 grs with 295 but i use maxi-ball 370 for hunting with 80 grs of 2f. reason i dont use powerbelts is COST,IS ALL.i think they are better than the .370 maxi-ball to on deer.you want the bullet to open up on deer with speed we use with our muzzleloaders.maxi-ball breaks bone and does not open up but it shoots real good, not as good as powerbelt .powerbelts do come out the other side also if you dont hit a bone,just like the maxi-ball.i think powerbelts are best bullet for deer in flintlocks.maxi-ball will break bone better, exit better but does not do damage that a powerbelt does.ifthey were cheaper, i would put my maxi-ball 370 to its final rest. no doubt in my mine that powerbelt is best bullet out there for flintlock on WHITETAIL DEER.the nice thing about them is you can LOWER your charge of powder and still get good expansion on a buck ,where other bullets you have to get speed up so the bullet will open up.thats great because some of us FLINCH with big charges of powder. if i could give just 1 bit of advice for shooting flintlock and hunting is this.LOWER CHARGES OF POWDER WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOT.if you have a bullet like the POWERBELT,that is made to open up with hollow point, you have the bestof both worlds.no recoil and good expansion on deer. remember, we are only shooting at the buck at 0 to 100 yardswith flintlock, open sights. you dont need anything else to get that buck. take care.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess iy depends on what works.They shoot 1.5 inch groups in my Omega but it takes 150 gr to get them to do it at 2150 fps they only go in about 4 or 5 inches then they frag like a varmit bullet. I tried the aero tips to but they won't group in that particular gun.
But that ok the Shock waves shoot real good with any load I would consider using,can't expect all of them to work in the same guns;my 1-38 twist System One won't shoot the PB's good enough to keep them on the target but it shoots XTP's almost any of them under 300gr into an inch.
I guess we just have to find what works for a gun and us it. Lee
Old 02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

the TC HAWKINS,1-48 twist seem to like the LONGER BULLETS.LIKE THE MAXI-BALL /POWERBELTS ,NOT THE MAXI-HUNTERS,to short. on that 1-38 , maybe powerbelt is to long, i dont know.cayugag could help on that. I SEEM maxi-hunters SHOOT ALL OVER TARGETS WITH MANY GUNS AT RANGE. AS SOON AS THEY PUT IN THE maxi-balls, GROUPS COME IN REAL GOOD, WHY, longer bullet,its that simple.tc hawkins,1-48 shoots the longer bullets well,not short ones.thats why i rec the .370 gr maxi-ball in the tc hawkins .50cal.