Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore/Omega 209/50 Breech Plug

Old 02-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default RE: Encore/Omega 209/50 Breech Plug

I forgot to say that the #3 breech plug is also deep like # 2.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new Encore Pro Hunter plug will be a quick release model with staggered threads, 90 degree turn and it comes right out (hopefully). Of course it won't work in existing barrels. New rotating extractor (the whole thing), pivotingtop on the hammer, 28" fluted barrel, new features in buttstock to include a Limbsaver pad and inserts in the stock. Stock looks funky.

Don't know what plug face they decided upon but very likely will be similar to or the same as the latest standard Encore/Omega plug.

Photo courtesy of Randy Wakeman
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

UC - think they put it with a barrel that doesn't need to be fixed?

Steve
Old 02-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can only hope. Truly though, I've now had 4 TC Encore muzzleloader barrels and only the first had the washboard bore like you've encountered. It was an SS, the 2nd SS is okay. Both blued barrels were nicely bored.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be fair TC has a great customer service dept. But between internet postings and my personal experience, I know of 6 washboard barrels(mainly Omega's) and at least 10 other's that would not group and needed work. Not to mention all the ones you hear about that have rough spots or need lapping to shoot.

A company the size of and with the abilities of TC IMO should be able to be more consistant then this. Especially with a product selling for $500 plus.

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

More here http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49TCprohtrb.jpg. Helps if you can zoom the image - fuzzy but you can read it. Figured they had some sort of interlock to prevent action closure unless the new plug was fully inserted - and they do.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Underclocked

Referring to your picture of the new breech plug... Where do you feel the gas seal might occurr. There must be one prior to the threads? I really do not believe it is at the "O" ring. When you install this plug is it installed tight to the barrel? or are you going to be able to back it off as so many people do now?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are two (or three)compression seal on the nose of the plug - you can see those in the larger pic above. Additionally, there appears to be a rubber? O-ring at the rear surface of the plug. The plug must be in position to allow the solid extractor to rotate into the vertical position, this also acts as an interlock to prevent closure of the action unless the plug is properly positioned and the extractor aligned to the "in use" position. TCsuggests a 95% reduction in blowback via those seals.

My guess is those compression seals and the overall design of the forward end of that plug dictate the necessity for the removal end (nipple end) having that machined "cut" or reduction at the forward end of the socket. That is likely there to give something to pull on as it seems to me the plug could otherwise be extremely difficult to remove after fouling. It will be interesting to see the removal tool they provide.

As to backing off a breechplug as a general practice, I'm convinced it's a bad one. Just snug, no more and no less, works best for me. In the case of the new Encore's plug, backing it off would only mean it isn't completely in position as those cuts are not really threads.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

It seems we had this dicussion several years ago and you and I were in the minority then and still might be today. I converted to your teflon thoughts along time ago and have never found the need to change. I stole an idea from you and a thought from Toby about the wrapping of the breech plug and applied it to my Remingtons and A&H's. I do snug them up to try to create a gas seal at the face of the breech plug and the rear of the barrel. With the Remington's I have shot up to 40 round of 100 grains of t7-2f and never touched the breech plug until I get home. When I remove it, if I remove it carefully enough most times I could use the teflon a second time - all the blow back has been stopped before reaching the threads. I am not quite as lucky with the A&H's I do get blow-back into the first three threads after 20 to 30 rounds, but not enough to freeze the plug. I have this theory and seems to work for me. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

SL, you couldn't possibly have stolen an idea from me......I don't own any.