Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another New 209 Primer

Old 02-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another New 209 Primer

I originally thought the new Triple Se7en primers would be produced by Remington -- just using another name instead of Kleanbore. All Hodgdon needed to do was to request a different color primer cap.

Well they got the different color cap (Black), but what they didn't get was Remington. So instead, they struck a deal with Winchester & now some competition to Remington Kleanbore 209 primers begins.

Should be available in most hunting stores by summer & No -- I haven't tried them yet. As a matter of fact, my Kleanbores arrived about one year ago & I still haven't tried it. I have plenty of Kleanbores too..... try a whole case.

I'm still a couple of range visits away from finishing all of my CCI regulars. I have 209 primers galore..... maybe severalyears worth.

http://winchester.com/products/newitems/whatsnewcontent.aspx?productid=36
Old 02-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another New 209 Primer

Triple Se7en

I thought both Remington and Winchester already has a ML primer out is this another one? a thrid one...
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has there been a thread on the Triple Se7en 209 primers Sabotloader?

Maybe I missed it! If that's the case, then just ignore this one.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe they might be talking about the Winchester WML209 that came out a while back where Winchester put on the box made for muzzleloaders... These new ones will be interesting to see how hot they are.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

No not that I remember, but I could have sworn Winchester was already producing a ML primer, but when I go to Cabelas-Bass Pro they do not come up so maybe this is the second, not the third. But, I am sure, well I thought I was. I am going to do some more checking.... All of them are overpriced...

I did e-mail Remington last week to inquire about the whether they were going to continue to produce the 209-4 - have not heard a word from them. I still have 2 bricks of them so they will last awhile.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been useing Federal 209A's in my shot shell reloading for a couple of years now. Their supposed to be one of the hottest 209primers on the market.
Al
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

And they are probably one of the hottest out there. You really probably do not need all that heat. It is commonly believed that the heat of the 209 causes the "crud ring" everyone talks about.

If you are shooting t7 pellets you will need heat especially on really cold days but still probably not as much as the Federal will supply. If you are using lose powder even less heat is required. The ML primers are supposed to be optimized for the job... not to hot - not to cold...

Personally I use the Remington 209-4 (for 410 shotguns) but they may no longer be available. I also use Cheddite primers in my trap rounds andI have found they work really well in the ML's - neither of these two create and undo amount of waste material in the nipple area.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

If you want to test fowling with a primer, shoot it in a Black Diamond XR or a Knight Disc. The breech on them will fowl up so fast it is shocking. With the Kleenbore Primers from Remington it has been much better... I still like the old blue box Wincheter W209's. They might fowl a little more but everything goes bang when it is supposed to...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting loose triple 7 for the last two years. I for the life of me can't see me ever switching to pellets.
Guess once I get the converstion kit installed I will get to try a number of primers to see what works with triple 7 since I bought 5 pounds resently. I'll look for the 209'4s too.

Al
Old 02-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

I am not holding my breath that you might find some 209-4's, I still have not heard a word from Remington on my question. If you find any it probably will be from somebody that regularly supplies shot gun supplies to trap shooters & reloaders.

I would also mention to look for some Cheddites also, if you stumble across some of these, they have worked really well for me...

The Rem and Winchester Primers for ML's are probably pretty decent I have not used any but my gosh for the price of them they really should be good.

Quick Reply: Another New 209 Primer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.