Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak and Winchester APEX

Old 02-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default CVA Kodiak and Winchester APEX

Is there any difference between these two guns? Do they have extedable ramrods? What is it with all these new guns having these two piece ramrods anyway, I would thinkpeople wouldhave trouble with them?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiak and Winchester APEX

If you want a Spanish barrel rifle with anfall/break action &regular ramrod, take a look at the Traditions Pursuit models. Better-yet, the best buy for that approximate price is the NEF Sidekick at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. The NEF even comes in wood as their basic pricedmodel.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Spike

The manual for a Kodiak indicates that the ramrod dose extend, as does the manual for an Apex. I own a Kodiak, and it does indeed extend. I have had no trouble with mine, but I do think a range rod is a very good investment. I plan to get one when I have some spare funds. It seems that a longer, and stronger rod would help with range shooting and cleaning the gun.

As for the difference between the guns, look up the manuals and see for yourself

Kodiak: http://www.cva.com/warranty/CVA%20OptimaKoiak%20Warr%20Book.pdf

Apex: http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/docs/Apex.pdf
Old 02-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, thanks. I have a New Frontier Beartooth that is made by CVA (marketed by BPI)and looks almost identical to the Optima. I never thought about the ramrod extending, but I'll bet it does, since it almost disappears when I run a patch down on the cleaning jag. Without a T-handle extension, it's just about impossible to pull back out with nothing to grab on to. (It's probably in my manual, but I skipped over that part because I didn't figure I had to read about that) .

IM jaybe