Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK Omega People - What is?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: OK Omega People - What is?

Pittsburghunter

I agree - I do not like the thumb-hole idea - I gotthe standard Grey laminated stock - round barrel model.

I have shot the Encore before a friend of mine has one. No to hurt anyones feelings, but I really do not like the looks of the Encore, Optima, NEF, BUCK??? what ever it was- that stock drives me nuts. I am to old I like a gun with plain oleone piece normal stock.The one Encore I did shoot the stadard stock was way to short for me also. The break open does not appeal to me either - I spend to much time taking care of the hinges on my trap guns, even had to have shotgun rebuilt once because the hinge loosened up so much.

Nope give a one piece well bult stock stock. There are some negative aspects in my mind about the Omega, but I amhoping I can work around them. Underclocked mentioned that TC might unveil a new breech plug at the shot show for the the Encore/Omega if that is what is really causing the t7 "crud ring."

Old 02-10-2006, 06:29 AM

I really like the look of the Thumbhole stock, plus the fact that it seems to cradle well for me... but after holding one for a few mins in a normal walk position, angled across my body, and considering that there could be a rare need to shoot off handed (Lefty for me)I ditched the idea. Just my personal preference.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader, Welcome to the wonderful world of Omegas. They really are an exceptional muzzleloader. Sure there are a few quirks, but I think you will find you have a superb ML.

The difference between the z5 and other Omega's is:

You can get the Z5 any way you want as long as it's Blue/Black Synthetic stock. Also, the Z5 has some cast portions of the swing block versus machinedthat are also press=pinned versus allen screw retained.

What does all this mean?

The Z5 swing block mechanism is non-field removableand the finish is not quite as good as the regular Omega.

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much identical. The barrel is identical.

I have removed the swing block onmyOmega'sa few times for cleaning after shooting alot ofblack powderand once to adjust the swing block tensioner.

Tahquamenon
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tahquamenon

Thanks for the info - I almost bought a Z5, but I got such a good deal on this SS regular laminated stock - I could not pass it up and I wanted to modernize a little bit from my Remingtons and A&H. I hope I like it as much as I do the Rems and I hope it is easier to care for.

thanks mike
Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

(I have removed the swing block onmyOmega'sa few times for cleaning after shooting alot ofblack powderand once to adjust the swing block tensioner.)-Quote:

Taq-What do you mean by the swingblock tensioner? My Omega will not stay closed unless I have a primer in the breech.I have been meaning to call TC,but have not had the time.Is this somthing I can adjust,or am I not understanding what you mean?

Charlie
Old 02-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Well I did some amateur detective work, and this
is what I found out. A good friend of mine is in
management for Wally World, his take is Walmart
contacted TC to see if they could obtain a contract
for a lower priced, Omega to compete with the CVA'S
as the profit margin on the CVA'S was not as good
as Walmart needed. Thus the Z-5 was born.
But I bet you like the Omega sabotloader.A good
addition to any mans armament collection!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:43 PM

My Omega locks closed irreguardless of if there is a Cap on or not, maybe you need some more tension there. I am curious though, now if Tahq would be so kind as to enlighten us how you adjust the tension we'd all be a touch wiser.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Omegalover-Mine closed OK when it was new.I am not getting a good lockup now.I wll sent it back to TC if I have to,but if it is just an adjustment,I would rather do it myself.

Charlie
Old 02-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

AQUATECH

Yep! exactly the same story I got from a friend of mine who is the manager of the local Wal-Mart sporting goods department. He and most of the local Wal-Marts arounf Idaho and Washington nver carried the Z5 in stock because they are not legal ML in the Pacific Northwest. When Wal-Mart submarined the price at the end of the year I wanted him to get me one from somewhere in the chain. If he got me one he could not give me the sub price and then explained that the Z5 was a special contract.

I did end up getting one but it is not the Z5... I went with the Regular Grey Laminate Round Stainless Steel. Should be here this week....

Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chasam60

I do not know if is the answer to the problem but I was browsing another site and ran acroos this:

jrkrk wrote - Omega TX the problem you have with your omega action opening on it's own is the allen screw that holds the trigger assembly pin in place. Take the barrel out of the stock and have the barrel laying down on something flat and have the trigger assembly facing up. The pin that holds the trigger assembly in place is held in place with a small allen screw I would check to see if that is loose if it is that is the problem tighten the allen screw and that action will never drop open on it's own again..Let me know how you make out. Thanx johh
from: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=518986#518986