Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bore Butter

Okay got things figured out about proper muzzleloading technique, now when should and what do I use bore butter for? Not sure i understand it now! [&o]
Old 02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bore Butter

JLmoore1956

Just posted a reply on your other thread... and again I will say do not use BB in the normal shooting routine if you are shooting sabots. I use it in the cleaning routine only...
Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, think I understand now! Just got to keep the bore clean between shots and use the BB for cleaning. How do you get the barrel hot before you lube it?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

JLmoore1956

I still use water and dish soap to pre-clean the barrel... both for the inlines and the sidehammers. The inlines are a little more tricky because of the trigger group I really do not want a bunch of crude in there.

So what i will do is run a few windex patches through the barrel get them so they are coming out nearly clean then use hot soapy water with patches to scrub the barrel clean. The last process for an inline I put a small funnel in the breech, place the muzzle on the shower floorand pour clean boiling water slowly through the barrel as the final rinse. This will heat the barrel and the heat will last for quite some time allowing you to complete the other projects. Remember sub powders are surgar based and they are water soluable. The boiling water removes all previous oils, any remaining soap, and 99% of the old BB. Be sure to have clean dry patches available to dry with as soon as you can or you will get some flash rusting unless your barrel is stainless.

I do not do this process every time I shoot - I clean each gun every time i use it but I do not strip clean unless I am done with the gun for an extended period of time or the gun has been exposed to really bad weather conditions. Again this is something you will develope as you shoot.

Personal questions - are you stateside now? or still in Iraq? - I did my time in Vietnam but in the Navy... What part of the country is home?

mike
Old 02-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks I will remember that.

In Iraq right now....... stationed in Northern NEw York, originally from Ohio!

[8D]
Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

JLmoore1956

Ah gee whiz - Ohio is big time ML country - you need to get into this sport! - it is addictive and it is fun - it is a little spendy to get started and (I was going to say but after the start up coast things settle down) - but for me it has been the exact opposit - I keep finding things I need, + plus I love to experiment, and I alwaysgotta havemore guns, after all the guy with more toys - opps that should read tools of the trade wins.

Gotta go to school talk to you later

mike
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

JL
Just wanted to say hi, and thank you for the great job you folks are doing for us over there. I was in the Navy for 23 years and retired Nov. 1993. I had some of my best hunting while in the military. Black Powder is a great recreation and you will meet a lot of really great people as you go on,. its the most rewarding type of hunting I know. One shot one kill. It will teach you patience, and make you a better marksman. Plus its so much fun. The feeling you get when you work up that load that gives you that one hole shot after shot load is unbelivable cause you did it yourself no one can do it for you cause every gun shoots different loads different. Anyway again I just want to thank you. And do me a favor tell another that some one from home says thanks. Mike
Old 02-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Okay got things figured out about proper muzzleloading technique, now when should and what do I use bore butter for? Not sure i understand it now! [&o]
Well this is just my opinion, but the bore butter is a good conical lube and that's about it. Other then that it is not worth the plastic tube it comes in. I know people use it and claim it works great to reduce fowling. And that's fine, if they like bore butter then by all means use it. Well I do not use it and can see no real benefit they are getting from the use of bore butter then I am getting without using it.

I feel most people like myself who have had bad experiences with bore butter might not have applied it properly. Now I always considered myself a knowledgeable person and one who could follow instructions, and have on different occasions tried to use bore butter the way it was explained to me. I have to admit, all my attempts have failed.

I used to be a bore butter user until the rifle's accuracy went bad andI would constantly get what I term tobacco patches, which are patches with a brown tobacco colored stain on them, come out the bore when swabbing. If your rifle is alledged to be clean, well then you should not be able to pull out a patch with tobacco colored fowling on it.

It all boils down to, I do not see the need to apply a wax type substance to my modern steel barrels to protect them,when I can protect them with a quality gun oil. Since I see no reduction in fowling using bore butter, then there is noreason to use it. I clean the rifle as I would any other center fire rifle. I then make sure the rifle does not rust by the application of a quality gun oil.

For those that use the bore butter and have good luck with it.. great, use it in your rifles. I will keep it out of mine.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike thanks. Yes got to hunt in Germany and many other places. And now that I know how it should be good shooting and will meet lots of folks! And I love doing what I do! [8D]
Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 PM

LET ME SAY YOU GUYS & GALS ARE DOING US PROUD
STANDING FOR FREEDOM. HAVE A NEPHEW OVER THERE
MY THOUGHTS & PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. SPENT TWO
TOURS IN NAM SO I UNDERSTAND WHY & HOW YOU
FEEL AT TIMES. AND I LIKE SABOTLOADER, USE THE
HOT-TODY BARREL TREATMENT FOR HEAT THEN APPLY
THE BB, AND I HAVE TO SAY I THINK IT REDUCES
FOULING IN MY OMEGA. GOOD SHOOTING GOD BLESS
DANNY

Quick Reply: Bore Butter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.