Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bore Butter

im thinking. its hard to break me of the bore butter.from your opinion ,you cant really think of good reason to use bore butter in bore other than lubing a maxi-ball.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky bore butter users...many muzzleloaders, many years, it's all I've ever used...I do think that OxYoke who manufacturs it(and the other company labels it's sold under) should do a better job ofhighlighting how it should be used.

PS:
Just as a FYI...I've alsolearned over the years that there's not enough bore butter in shooting patches to allow me to shoot an entire range sessions in the dry/low humidity conditions without wiping the bore occasionally....so I've been experimenting with Hoppe's No9 BP PlUS as it's a semi liquid and makes a "wetter" patch...so far it's beenfantastic for weekend shootingthis winter.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

im thinking. its hard to break me of the bore butter.from your opinion ,you cant really think of good reason to use bore butter in bore other than lubing a maxi-ball.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I have no intention of breaking you or anyone elsefrom using bore butter. I could care less if you use bore butter. Your rifles, your decision. Use up all the bore butter in the world. You will have no competition from me trying to buy it out from under you. I just have no use for it. I have two tubes around the house. They will probably never be used up.

When people ask my opinion of the product or any product for that matter, I will be blunt. I have no use for the stuff. As a conical lube it works good. As a wax smear in my rifle, never again. I even gave the stuff a second chance. And believe me I tried my best to follow roundball's and sabotloader's instructions on how to use it. I still got the tobacco patches eventually. I decided not to wait around for the rifle to head south as I saw no advantage in using it and I can treat it with Birchwood Casey Sheath a lot faster and with much more confidence...

Good luck in your bore butter use.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 AM

I have two tubes around the house.
Good gracious...only two tubes left? Now I know what to get you for Christmas !!

Old 02-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
I'm a die hard bore butter man going back more years than I care to think about. What I findironic is that I'm trying out the Sheath now for the 1st time. I have no faith in it yet, but I set aside one ML for this test. The judge is still out, but so far so good
Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: roundball

I have two tubes around the house.
Good gracious...only two tubes left? Now I know what to get you for Christmas !!
You know how it is when Wal Mart has their end of the season sales.. even though I don't need it I buy it. That's why I have 12 bore brushes, eight loading jags, a couple range rods, and the list gets worse from there.

I'm a die hard bore butter man going back more years than I care to think about. What I findironic is that I'm trying out the Sheath now for the 1st time. I have no faith in it yet, but I set aside one ML for this test. The judge is still out, but so far so good
Triple Se7en the poster some time back suggested I try Sheath. I was a Rem Oil with Teflon user most of the time. Well he always gave me good advise, so I tried it. I have never looked back. Not only does it protect excellent, but I like the smell as well. I just got some Kroll Oil the other day (it was on sale..[&o] what can I say) and that's some interesting oil too. It is supposed to remove lead, so we will see....
Old 02-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, i guess your last roundball to use BORE BUTTER.ha,i was at range during deer season i saw no one but me using the bore butter.very strange feeling too. most were using roundballs and powerbelts.most only shoot at hunting season each year too. most said BORE BUTTER freezes and they hated that.most swabed with alcohol patchs.none used the no.13 patch or lube as i used, it freezes too.but i shoot maxi-balls , so i use bore butter to lube.no BORE BUTTER in my gun for storage or after washing it with water but, i am debating to give my tube to charity here,ha. but, how would i use my MAXI-BALLS with bore butter.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

you need the bore butter to shoot the maxi ball. Have fun with it. Who cares what other people use..as long as it makes you happy.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
I've used Kroil Oil at work and homefor yearsand it's great as a penetrating oil for breaking rusty bolts loose. Iown a1922Model T Touring Car andit's been a life saver for meworking on this car. I neverknew that you could use it for taking lead out of barrels. It's pretty strong stuff and I'll bet it works. Why didn't I think of it earlier. Keep us posted. Iguess you'renever to old to learn something new.