Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter

Thanks Danny, as you were I am sure, proud to be hear serving my country and making sure that everyone doesnt have to worry about 9/11 again, but just the size of the beard and antlers. To me the real heros are the ones that keep the hunting heritage alive, or fight to preserve it. I will maintain the freedom to do it, and keep supporting the ones that keep it alive! [8D]
Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

JLmoore1956,
"Thank You" and the rest of the troops for the GREAT job you are doing
We are all so proud of you guys! I hope that you're able to come home soon!
I see that you're based out of Ft. Drum, N.Y.My son isfrom the 10th Mtn. Division too. He's on his way to Afghanistan now on his 2nd tour.

I know that using bore butter is controversial andI've been using it for years and love the stuff. I even use the pre lubed patches between shots when loading tight fitting projectiles like the Barnes bullets.They load much easier and my groups tighten up. What more can a guy ask for?

Take Care of there!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

yepper, 10th Mtn, 1st BDE, your son must be with the 2nd BDE.

Guess I will have to experiment when I get back and see what happens, sure I will get it figured out! [8D]
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

JLmoore1956,
"yes"You are correct.
He just finished Ranger training at Ft. Benning, Ga. We went to his Graduation Ceremony last week. It was awesome and the Ranger burgers at Ranger Joe's weregreat too.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have been using bore butter or maxi-lube as they called it years ago for 36 years now.i never had rust problem, i guess. i did notice that after i dried my hot barrel and bore buttered it, next day i found rust near muzzle. i dont think it was butter but FLASH RUST you talk about. yet, i dried barrel real good before i put butter in.i am leaning towards using SHEATH in barrel to store it.i believe that rust would not have showed up if i used SHEATH in barrel. i am still going to use bore butter to shoot my MAXI-BALLS and on my patchs on my roundballs.also i am going to still coat bore with bore butter during shooting andbetween shooting. but, if i am putting gunaway for months, in goes SHEATH.then before shooting i will swab out the shealth with alcohol patchs and wipe in bore butter and shoot. what do you think?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I personally think switching to Sheath is a good idea. As for before you shoot, wiping the Sheath out with an alcohol patch is fine, but why then smear the bore butter back into it? Shoot from a clean barrel. Unless you like bore butter in the barrel then by all means smear away....
Old 02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

Just as point to mention, you probably already know that I continue to use BB in my barrel care routine. But I think I mentioned the last process after the barrel has cooled to room temp is to run a couple of clean patches down the barrel to get the last of the excess BB then use a high quality oil such as sheath or Break Free Clp to oil the whole thing inside and out. That might help those areas that may be missed. Remember I am not using real BP. If I were using real BP I would stay away from the oils as recommended by TC and others.

Heat plus petroleum oil equals tar! That's what causes the heavy fouling when shooting a muzzleloader with conventional petroleum based lubes. The problem of heavy fouling was one not encountered in the old days, as the oils used then were all natural' whale oil, bear fat, deer tallow, etc. Petroleum based oils were not discovered until the mid 1800's, and during the Civil War, fouling did become a problem. If you do use oils remove all traces of oil from your muzzleloader by cleaning the bore with hot water and a detergent before shooting Black Powder.
But also remember the quote is by the company selling BB. I do not use real BP so I can not accurately so whether this is a fact or not.

anda few sentences before this information it recommends NOT using BB with a sabot barrel at least not lubricating the sabot with BB. To maintain a dry bore for sabots.

So it really comes down to what works for you and your gun..

Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

opps!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

This subject comes up here every few months. Folks using it must learn by their mistakes with it. Make no mistakes& you are off the hook. Make a mistake & your bore will turn to rust.

Once you make a rifle-storing preparation mistake with Bore Butter, I can guarantee you that you will never use it again.

Use gun oils for best protection. Use gun oils because they allow you to make moisture-barrel preparation mistakes & the bore still will not rust while checking it periodically.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I use bore butter after cleaning to keep lubed, as well as for lubing my barrel for the first shot.

The barrel on my hawkins is a bit oversized so when I load up my first shot, I swab the bore clean with alchohol, load the powder and bullet, then run a patch of bore butter down the barrel again in front of the load. The last swab of bore butter does the same thing as a fouling shot, somy first shot hits where all the others do. I use bore butter instead of a foulingshot so that I can leave my ML loadedall season instead of cleaning it every time I go out hunting.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.