Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight rifles

Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

Default Knight rifles

I have had I think 3 of these. I always liked thier accuracy and components. But on my 1995 version, my rifling is very deep. Same with my 1999 wolverine. But my disc elite doesn't ahve this deep rifling. I talke to knight and they said they changed over a bit from single point cut rifling to button rifling (draggin a carbide die thru). I have owned both on high dollar centerfire barrels from dan lilja and krieger, and both shot excellent.

Just wonder if that deeper rifling was any better? I know my older knight was a little overbore, but my newer one is just like my TC encore.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight rifles

How does the Vision shoot? They were sure taking their time about getting the rifle on the market. Is it everything they cracked it up to be? So the Vision has button rifiing. Interesting....
Old 02-02-2006, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have had I think 3 of these. I always liked thier accuracy and components. But on my 1995 version, my rifling is very deep. Same with my 1999 wolverine. But my disc elite doesn't ahve this deep rifling. I talke to knight and they said they changed over a bit from single point cut rifling to button rifling (draggin a carbide die thru). I have owned both on high dollar centerfire barrels from dan lilja and krieger, and both shot excellent.

Just wonder if that deeper rifling was any better? I know my older knight was a little overbore, but my newer one is just like my TC encore.
I prefer shallower rifling in a muzzleloader. Deep grooves can let the rain run past your sabot into your powder. Shallower rifling and a sabot acts as a better seal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

My old MK-85 has deeper cut rifling (.008" I think where newer T/C'sare .005"). Really an exceptional barrel.

Which is better" Not much difference in my view other than the deeper rifling is a bit more fouling tolerant where the shallower button rifling in many of my other barrels require more frequent swabbing.

I swab after every shot anyway.

I'm sure that there is a more technical reply from someone here.

Button rifling is far less expensive and still yieldsa decentbore rifling.

Tahquamenon
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
bigcountry

The jury is definately out on which is better single point cut or button. But both are superior to hammer forge (your CVA's, traditions, etc and most factory centerfiresexcept savage)in my opinion.

Dan Lilja, hart, douglas, will all say button rifleing makes for a smoother straigter rifling. Krieger will tell you button rifling causes stresses on the barrel. But my last Krieger, I wasn't happy with.