Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Remington is Here

Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Remington is Here

Had to pull pic down. Was a visual comparison ofTraditions Yukon and Remington Genesis.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Underclocked

I really kinda hate to say this but I am going to take a look at one of these Yukon's if the ever get their production going. I just wish they had a SS barrel. I will, if I did, probably go black synthetic, blued. Whether it be Remington or Tradition I am not into pellets or magnum charges. I have shot magnum loads in a CVA Firebolt just so I could say i did but did not find them that big of an advantage for me vs my normal 100 grain loose t7 load, especially in the mountians of ID.

Never mind 24" barrel - I have that covered with a Rem 700ml. Back to re-thinking an Omega - I wish they would let me try the barrel on one before I bought it. I think I can beat the crud ring but I am not sure. Has anynoe heard of any TC changes for the Omega coming up.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Great, a Spanish Remington.

Thanks for the photo,the Genesis isexactly like the Traditions Yukon, the only difference appears to be in the manner in which the breech moves.

Well, I am less than excited about the Genesis now. Not ragging on Traditions but Spanish is not my preferance.

Well see what develops with the Gensis/Yukon. Who knows, might be the next best thing.

Tahquamenon
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

sabotloader

I think you can get past the crud ring a couple of ways in an Omega.
[ol][*]Swab after every shot.[*]Give the Remington Kleenbore Primers a try. I don't notice the crud ring with both 2fg & 3fg 777. But then I swab after every shot, so the crud ring never has been an issue. 50/50 99% Isopropyl Alcohol & Windex patch followed by a dry patch.[/ol]
Tahquamenon
Old 02-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tahquamenon

Thanks Tah. I understand that - but the point is I do not want to have to do that. With my current inlines and of course the sidelocks I do not have that problem at all. The Remingtons and the A&H's do not require that extra attention especially while I am hunting.

At the range I do that just normal, but I usually shoot 3 rounds then swab the barrel.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Cool.

I never saw sabbing the bore after each shot a problem but that's just me.

I swab before every shot regardless of the ML when shooting saboted rounds.

The point of impact (POI)I hunt with is from a clean bore.

If I need a rapid follow-up when shooting saboted rounds, then I have a Slip-fit Hornady Great Plains Conical load in speedloader at the ready.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Genesis may be built to a bit higher standard. The Remington pdf describes several models, all but one having STAINLESS barrels. To my knowledge, all the Traditions are chrome-plated overa softer Spanish carbon steel. My understanding is thatRem is getting these things via Traditions instead of setting up their own import process. The rifleshouldn't be written off just yet. Ah'm gonna hafta ta see one.

SL, there is rumor of a significant change in the breechplug for the Encore that will be shown at the Shot Show in a few days. Since the Omega uses the same breechplug, maybe it will be used there as well (or maybe not due to action differences). Might be worth waiting just a few more days to see what changes are in the works. You can shoot sumpin' else in da meantime.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tahquamenon

I am a left over relic from centerfire range & milatary shooting - I never shoot a clean barrel, my barrels are always fouled while shooting, not badly mind but not mint clean. I do achieve my best accuracy and mostconsistent velocities with this partially fouled barrel. As long as the bore doesn't get wet it will remain in this condition. Loads may remain in the barrel several weeks, depending on weather.

It would be almost impossible for me to maintain an out of the house cleanbore in a hunting camp and in the places wehunt. The barrel is clear but certainly not clean.

My follow up shotis the samebullet, same sabot, same point of aim - everything is all the same for that shot or any following shots. I can usually load at least 5 consecutive loads in the inlines. Very little fouling no crud ring.

Works for me - as they say if it is not broke don't fix it...

Old 02-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Underclocked

UC I am facing a couple of delimmas - i really want one because of simplicty, SS 28" barrel, BUT... I really do not need one I can not shoot all of the ones I have now and they function great + the confidence i have in them make it awful difficult for me to move to another gun.

In Idaho I could not use the new gun during ML season which is OK becuase I do not even bother with the centerfire rifles any more unless we are going down onto theriver breaks after muleys - 100 yard shot there are not common almost everything is beyound that.

With the cam lifting upward under the scope- I do not think I could use to havinga regular scope mounted way high to provide clearance or a 6" eye relief scope.

I really have no problem withthe Spanish barrel syndrome. I have a couple of them already on the A&H's and even a fire bolt which has never presented a problem for me - I am not a magnum shooter.

If I were to make this jump to a new gun it does look like it would be the Omega right now. I do not fancy the looks of the Encore - I know that shouldn't matter but it does to me.

Well only time will tell....

Old 02-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Alot of people would be surprised where some of the so called usa made firearms come from. The Springfield Armory 1911pistols were made in Brazil at one time, not sure about now. Their XD pistol started as a Croation made pistol cause i owned one and they took them over. The famous Austin & Halleck muzzleloaders were made in Spain and still are as far as I know. I thought Remington was going to start selling some russian stuff that EAA use to. I hear they are going to introduce the zastava mauser rifles that Charles Dailey is selling. The new muzzleloader looks like a tradition made rifle right down to the lettering on the barrel, stock design, hammer design, engraving on side of receiver, etc. I use spain made rifles so it doesnt matter to me as long as it shoots good and doesnt fall apart.

Quick Reply: New Remington is Here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.