Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ISO-HEET FOR CLEANING

Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ISO-HEET FOR CLEANING

A: I wouldn't blow down any barrel

B: I wouldn't swab a barrel with undiluted alcohol, ISO or otherwise

C: "Flash point" is the temperature where vapors can be ignited with an open flame (motor oil has one, too)

D: Rain-X washer solvent contains a polymer in solution; when the solvent is evaporated, the polymer is precipitated on the vehicles glass (or paint, etc) so I wouldn't be inclined to use it, either.

E: If cost is the factor in using an alternative to Hoppes #9 or similar product, what's the matter with boiling water and soap?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

There is nothing wrong with CLEANING a rifle with boiling water and soap. That is still one of the best methods of removing fowling bar none. It will take the fowling out without question. Although the other day to prove a point... friends and I were shooting. He cleaned his rifle with boiling water and soap bath as normal. When he was positive he had it clean, I took a patch with some Butch's Bore Shine on it and swabbed his barrel. It came up black streaked. Yet his water bath showed the patches were clean. So judge for yourself next time you THINK your rifle is clean. When you water bath it and they are nice and white clean, run a solvent patch after that and see what you get.

In all my years of swabbing with a patch dampened with isopropyl alcohol, I've never experienced a problem other then a very excellent inexpensive swabbing compound. If one of those patches were to ignite (I've yet been able to get one to.. you'd think pushing that to the breech and then firing a cap or primer into it would ignite it) what is it really going to do? Probably burn a little and other then that nothing.

A problem I had when swabbing with water based soap and what not swab solutions, especially in traditional rifles, was an increase in hangfires and misfires. I am sure this is directly related to the water based swabs infecting the bore and then the dry patches that follow it were unable to clear or clean the total problem.

People need to use the swab solution they have the most confidence in. They need to clean and protect their rifles in the manner they also have the most confidence in.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cayugad,I agree, also I have used the right kind of brake cleaner for years and never had a problem. But a person really should pay attention to whats on the can when they buy it; a little inattention can cause problems. Lee
Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Just my 2 bits,... I think a man with cayugads experiance can do a lot of things that an individual of lesser experiance probably should not do. I think we probably all do this in our own worlds. At this point point I have not had the misfire/hangfire problems cayugad has experianced using the method that I use. The IPA idea makes great sense but has a possible drawback, but experiance can over come that. I myself would not even think aboutpouring powder down down a warm freshly shoot ML with a powder horn, I have no experiance, but I know there are guys that do it all the time. But; yet in the woods trying to start a smoldering camp fire going I am quite comfortable throwing gas on it, but the conditions, my conditions, must be met before I would do such thing. Experiance dictates the conditions.