Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ISO-HEET FOR CLEANING

Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ISO-HEET FOR CLEANING

While were on this subject, I followed cayugad post on the 50/50 99% alc./windshield washer mix, all I had when I mixed it was RainX's winter grade (orange) that has the antifreeze agent in it as well as the window treatment. I didn't think of it when I made it but RainX puts a film on the glass that repels water. I haven't used the mix yet but I'm thinking it won't hurt, in fact it may help since it repels water. I just don't know about what if any residue it may leave behind. Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

good question. i think if you dilute the way some do,50 alcohol50 windex .it would not be as flammable.but i think 99% of ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL could burn as bottle says and it burns in car engine.so, it may be safer diluting it as most do with windex . i dont know. are some using alcohol full strength on their cleaning swabs?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

we all agree that alchohol is great for swabing and great in cold as patch lubricant etc. i agree. i have this good ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL that you put in your car to get water out of gas. could this be used as swab cleaner? it does not say how much is ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. it says on back of bottle, do not use near heat/flame.maybe too much alcohol is not ok?what you think?
Just don't DRINK it!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TC209x50

While were on this subject, I followed cayugad post on the 50/50 99% alc./windshield washer mix, all I had when I mixed it was RainX's winter grade (orange) that has the antifreeze agent in it as well as the window treatment. I didn't think of it when I made it but RainX puts a film on the glass that repels water. I haven't used the mix yet but I'm thinking it won't hurt, in fact it may help since it repels water. I just don't know about what if any residue it may leave behind. Any thoughts?
I am wondering that since after swabbing with the mixture and you then run a dry patch or two to follow up, if that dry patch will not wipe anything left, like a film off the barrel. Mix a little of it and try. Be sure to let us know how it works for you. I usually use the summer blend mix and get it at the Wal Mart cheap.... I am suspecting that you will not have a problem.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i just went outside with ISO-HEET . full strength on my cleaning patch. i dropped a match on it. it burned real fast.i them mixed 50/50 iso-heet with windex and i could not get the patch to burn,it would not catch. i would not have this ISO-HEET anywhere around fire,heat or gunpowder .alcohol in its full state is VERY BURNABLE. to much risk to use around muzzleloader ,i think.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

Remember flash point of IPA or even ISO-HEET is 53 degrees F. (at 53 degrees it will start evaporating creating ignitable fumes) I would say you are correct it is flammable.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader - I understand that at 53 degrees it may start evaporating and developing fumes, but it requires more heat than that to IGNITE, doesn't it? You know, gasoline will evaporate on a cold, winter day (I'm in Michigan), but it still takes a spark or match to ingnite it.
I'm not trying to be picky here (maybe I am), but I think that saying it's flash point is 53 degrees is incorrect - my hands are warmer than that.

IM jaybe
Old 02-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe
Everything you say is correct - my point, if there is a point, is the use of flammable materials in the barrel of a ML containing residue should be approached very carefully. It does not happen often but it could. Muting the IPA with water/windex will certainly help alleviate the problem. The water/windex will slow and raise the flash point of IPA.

Using pur IPA to clean oil from a barrel prior to shooting - can not imagine that being a problem. Using pure IPA between shots I think you a raising the level of probabilities there.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yup - I agree completely!

IM jaybe
Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont see the diffrence between swapping with 91% alcohol like MANY of us do now.....and using 99% with a rust/corrosion preventative in it in terms of saftey....regaurdless 91% and 99% are BOTH going to be pretty dang flamable....i think i may start using the ISO heet....already got it handy....always got it in my truck...long story but i had water get in there somehowon a fishing trip.......i think it may have been the gigundo water puddle i hit.....wentfishing for 3 or 4 hrs and the drive home i was going up a hill and she just bogged down and died and wouldnt start....started up after i let it sit....out that stuff in it and its fine.....winter i always use it.....and once in a while throught the year......ill let you guys know when i swab with it.......if you guys dont see me posting anywhere on the boards you know i caught on fire.....but i doubt it....i swab with pure 91% now.....i just like the 1% being rust preventative....NOT water or whatever the other 9% is in91% alcohol.....and that stuffwill evaporate even quicker!! i think thats a great idea...rusty duck cleaner has ETHER in it........and alcohol i think...bottles at home....i use that at home now......i like it

Quick Reply: ISO-HEET FOR CLEANING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.