Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

Old 01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

On a different forum I was reading their muzzleloader projectile recommendations and they do not favor a Shockwave. They think the XTP style or Barnes Expander are a better choice. They base this on the fact many of the shots are close range and the Shockwave is moving too fast and there is a chance where it could fragment. Then they go on to say that the XTP design hits, enters, and makes a massive wound channel which is more likely to put the animal down on the ground faster.

After reading some of their posts, I was thinking that perhaps the .458 diameter 300 grain Hornady HP would be a good choice. I like the head on that hollow point and with the weight and the larger diameter this might make a good choice. I really do have to get out there and hunt me one of them critters.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I know this is not THE judging factor but I like the taper to the hollowpoint also - it looks like a rifle bullet. Speer makes a 325 FN .458 that really looks even better - I shot 1/2 box or so and they shot really well. When you start entering the .458 bullet category it really does open up another world.

I looked up the ballastics of a 45-70 Government if that was a good gun, I am telling you our 50's will shoot with it if not better - well that statement ought to get me in trouble.

The ONLY reason I lean to the Nosler - is the penetration the partition offers - but the Aleuts of Alaska always bring me back to reality when they are shooting really big animals with 22's...

Old 01-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Spike

A .45-70 will absolutely, positively, kill a hog stone-dead 99 times out of a hundred...I don't care where you hit 'em. I've killed a tractor trailor full of them, and many of those were killed by a.22 LR (not the best choice by any stretch).

They aren't THAT tough!