Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

Old 01-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Default 200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

I am really liking the way the 200 grain .50 caliber Shockwaves shoot in my Omega.Wondering if anyone has taken game with them - particularly game larger than deer. Due the .40 caliber diameter, they have about the same sectional density as the 250 gr. Shockwave. Should in theory penetrate about the same if theyhave similarconstruction . . .
Old 01-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

I've read a few deer hunter reports of how well the 200 grain Shockwaves are doing for them. Seems to be a real good deer projectile. That's why I have been working loads up for my rifles with them. I was lucky and bought out Wal Mart at their end of the season so I have I think seven containers of them to shoot off.

You've shot elk. You really think that would work well on elk? I would be interested to see if someone has tried. Also on pigs. I hear they are tuff to bring down. It would be interesting to see if they would work on some of the big hogs...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also am interested, my Omega loves Shock Waves especally 50/40 200gr
will shoot good groups with a wide range of loads although the P O I moves around. So far I have only heard 4 reports all on deer; 3 were excellant, the other one claimed he could not have missed but no hair no blood and he seen a deer that had the same rack in the same area a week later that had a slight limp. If my spring Boar hunt gels I will see if I can't add something to our data.Ben trying to find out how to post some pics just in case I retrive a bullet. Lee
Old 01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

There are two guys on another forum that shoot Omegas and have used the 200's on Moose, Mule deer and other animals in Canada. One shoot, one kills, some over 200 yards. Both the guys are respected and have video to back up there claims.

Cayugad I belive knows these guys too maybe. Their computer names are Omega and Sheephunterab.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:37 PM

I may have to test these in the wet phone books. I have a pretty good idea, from field experience, what to expect from the 250 and 300 grain Shockwaves. We'll see how they compare in an "apples to apples" test. If all three bullets were .451 diameter, I might expect the 200 grain to give more expansion and less penetration. But the .40 caliber 200 grain bullet has about the same proportion of length to diameter as the 250 grain. I would expect it to perform similarly. And the 250 Shockwaves seem to have more than adequate penetration for elk.

At least it looks good on paper [8D]
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes I do know them.. and you're right, they are well respected hunters and shooters. I knew they were shooting the 250 grain but a 200 grain on a Moose, now that's impressive...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

No I disagree a bit, the Moose here are not near as difficult to get down as Elk. They are shot around here quite often with 243's. They are whole lot like cattle shoot them they lie down. I had an eighth grade student shoot a really nice bull with a 243 from 80 yards - he walked about 20 yards layed down and she drilled it again in the head. A gentleman in Lewiston took the biggest bull recorded in North Idaho with a 243 also.

We have to draw for a Moose permit here in Idaho and you only get one Moose in a lifetime - I have not put in for one yet - but as many as I saw Elk hunting last year I should have.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

I know they switched over to the 200, was thinking one of their wives took a moose at 300 yards with one out of a Omega.

Hey Sabot, how's it going? sounds like you did some shootin today. I was all set to get my Elite sighted in and I got sick. Maybe I can get out Sunday. Did not know that about the moose. Omega sais the bears are pretty easy kills. Was surprised be that too. Of course shoot placement is everything.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

cur_dog

Yes, it was Omega's wife - wasn't her name Sandy?

With an ML and shooting distances of 200 or 200+ yards I think the 200 would be your best bet. But then again I am pretty sure he was shooting 150 grain loads also.

In the normal ranges I still think the 240/250/260 grain bullet is the best for deer -but hey! I have been wrong before. I know I shoot 200 grain bullets from my 300 Win Mag but I have a little more velocity than generated by an ML.

Yep, went out to the Terry sister's farm on the outskirts of town and got in some paper punching in. Can not get the ranges I want to out there, but it is better than driving 30 miles one way.

His wife dropped that black bear also, can not remember the range on that one didn't seem to be that great. but, again unless you have a really angry sow after you a bear will go down pretty easywith a good shot to the vitals.

Hope you are able to get out this weekend - we are suppose to get a big storm in this weekend - that is why I wanted to get out today.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Omega and Sheephunter swear by the 3 pyro pellets. I saw that bear footage too. They have a real hard life huh?

Suppose to rain tomorrow here. I need to keep inside anyway.

Sounds like you had fun out there today.

Quick Reply: 200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.