Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

Old 01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

120 grains of loose Triple Se7en 2f was a real hoot! I loaded a MMP Sub base between the powder and the sabot to kind of protect the sabot some what. I had noticed that the blue sabots almost shatter into pieces when I shoot them. I have no idea what kind of fps 120 grains of T-7 would push that little bullet, but the Disc rifle sure seems to like them. I can see why something like that would do a lot of damage if placed in the right place.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 PM

I also noticed this load is hard on the sabots. I found them all in about the same area, but some had no petals and all were missing at least one petal. Can't complain about the grouping, though.

I was just showing one of my customers the damaged chronograph from earlier today. His comment was "might want to put a brick in front the display part from now on". How come I didn't think of that?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

You should have asked him where was he earlier with this great idea before the incident happened.

I have seen a Plexiglas shield built that protects the thing. Would the sabot break Plexiglas?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Wow a .243 on moose? I would never consider it and would think it should be illegal. I was gifted a .243 model 7 Remington and didn't like the ballistics and sold it. My dad shot at two deer with it both were hits deer not recovered. He went back to his .308. He shot two more before he had to retire from hunting.

I have to add where we hunt there is dense woods and odds are your bullet is going to go though some twigs or bush on the way to the target so the little 100g bullet has to fill a tall order.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Not sure. They will bend a 3/16" steel rod if you hit them. Of course destroy the sunshade on the top. It made a dent about 1/4" deep and about as big as my thumb in the display area. Thick plexiglas might work. I'm thinking the brick would stick up just high enough to expose only the rods and the sunshade, which are sort of replaceable. I would just have to walk over to the tableand peek over the brick to get the reading.Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier . . .
Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pittsburghunter

No the 243 is perfectly legal here for all big game. In fact there are a lot of people that use that cartridge. In this case her father was a bit worried about her normal store bought load so he had me load up some Nosler Partitions for her. I have the pictures of the her and the bull around here someplace. Made quite a splash in the paper because she was only 14 and a girl at that.

When he first suggested that she had got a Moose permit and was going to use her cut 243 I tried to convince him to let her use my 270, but it was just to big for her. So the next best thing was to get her a good bullet and it certainly worked for her. Moose here which are not the Moose of Alaska and go down easily, the normal hard part is finding one during the limited time you are given to hunt them.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 PM

I have done well and am very pleased with the 250 grain shockwaves. But I have been eyeballing the 200 grainers for about two months now and seriously considering them and their potential to extend my range from 200 yards to 250. I have shot a few 200 grainers at 100 and the poi is really not very different, but I am guessing that due to the bc and less weight, downrange performance might get me there. Of course, I need to do allot of shooting at that distance before I would even consider it.

But, I can still kill one more doe this year (limited out on bucks), and I am seriously considering shooting a doe just to test out the terminal performance (of course the meat would not go to waste). I have 4 more days and if I tried, don't think it would be a problem. What I would like to do is get a heavy quatering shot or even a head on chest shot so that there would be a chance to recover the bullet. This would be the best way, I think to determine the terminal effects. I shoot 110 grains of 777 and there is no way I would get the bullet back, not even at 200 yards I don't think, with a broadside shot.

Anyway, I am taking my kid several times over the next couple of days. If I get a chance, I'll take one and let you guys know.

BTW, what was the fps on the 200 grain bullets and 120 grains of 777?
R
Hank
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 AM

I live in CA. Pigs are one of the hardest animals that I have hunted to date. You can hit them with a 300 and they go like they were not even hit. I seen one with half its heart blown in half by a 243 and still go 100 yards. Unbelievable those creatures are. If they are near super thick brush, I will not shoot because 9 out of 10 times, they will run it and it takes hours to find them. I try to catch them crossing a field.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JASS

I live in CA. Pigs are one of the hardest animals that I have hunted to date. You can hit them with a 300 and they go like they were not even hit. I seen one with half its heart blown in half by a 243 and still go 100 yards. Unbelievable those creatures are. If they are near super thick brush, I will not shoot because 9 out of 10 times, they will run it and it takes hours to find them. I try to catch them crossing a field.
JASS - I saw a program I believe it was on the Men's Channel. They were hunting hogs in Northern California as I remember. Real rolling hill grass country. Very pretty actually. I guess there is more to see out there then LA. Anyway, they were shooting some high power rifles and I was impressessed at the hogs ability to take a hit and still keep going.

They then explained that the actual vital organs on a wild hog are not where most people think they are and most hunters actually shoot too high into the body. It was a very good show. Of course they were pushing the ranches address for hunts, but it was most interesting.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Who makes Shockwaves? Can you get them without the sabots?

IM jaybe

Quick Reply: 200 gr. Shockwave Terminal Performance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.