Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

clear shot?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default clear shot?

I ordered some pinnaccle powder from a dealer (new guy) and now that it's in it turns out that it's "clear shot" what is this stuff I know about clean shot, app, and pinnacle but is this stuff ok to use? the dealer says it's the same I tend to disagree. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: clear shot?

nysbowhunter

Do not open it, if you have not already. If you ordered "Pinnacle" - Clear Shot is not a good substitute. Your Clear Shot will be old really old, it was produced by Goex but several years ago. It is my opinion that it was severely underpowdered. "Pinnacle" is a collaberative project between Goex and APP and by most accounts is a good product. The original APP powder before the lawsuit was "Clean Shot." It was, in my opinion, a decent product, but It would clump up in the container after awhile unless you used it regularly and often. Both APP & Clean Shot or any of their other trade names are really large granuals in FFG form - if you are going to use it you would probably want the FFFG variety.

To make a long story short - if you ordered Pinnacle - get Pinnacle - I would not accept either Clear Shot or Clean Shot as a sub.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Pinnacle is made by American Pioneer Powder Company. Get it in 3f if you buy it because of the size of the grains. It is really a nice powder to shoot. Very clean and no fowling or crud rings.

Clear Shot (I did not know they were still making the junk!) was a powder that came out from Goex many years ago. I shot off a pound of it. It was clean to shoot as advertised, but as I remember it was really under powdered and we had to up the charges by something (don't quote me on this) like 20% to hit in the same area as Pyrodex.

I would take it back and tell him you wanted Pinnacle and that he can shoot the Clear Shot. Most places FORBID the return of powder once you purchase it. You bought it, you own it. I'm sure that's why he gave you the song and dance about it being the same stuff. Well it's not. You ordered Pinnacle, paid for Pinnacle, and that's what he needs to supply. I would guess he goofed on his order or had no idea what Pinnacle even is.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to my Chrony their is more than 400 ft differance at a 100 gr load with a 250 gr bullet. Lee
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Spike

Thanks boys, Once again I can count on some good advice. well Im out 20 bucks but he's out a customer thanks again D.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

nysbowhunter

Do not open it, if you have not already. If you ordered "Pinnacle" - Clear Shot is not a good substitute. Your Clear Shot will be old really old, it was produced by Goex but several years ago. It is my opinion that it was severely underpowdered. "Pinnacle" is a collaberative project between Goex and APP and by most accounts is a good product. The original APP powder before the lawsuit was "Clean Shot." It was, in my opinion, a decent product, but It would clump up in the container after awhile unless you used it regularly and often. Both APP & Clean Shot or any of their other trade names are really large granuals in FFG form - if you are going to use it you would probably want the FFFG variety.

To make a long story short - if you ordered Pinnacle - get Pinnacle - I would not accept either Clear Shot or Clean Shot as a sub.
ClearShot is NOT Pinnacle-APP makes Pinnacle for GOEX-Goex actually made ClearShot themselves.

ClearShot is an excellent powder in one respect-it is truly noncorrosive, as I proved to my satisfaction by leaving a rifle uncleaned for two weeks that I'd fired with it ten times in August here in S. PA in the heat & humidity. No rust, no nuthin'!!

But as sabotshooter said, it falls at least40% below the performance level of other substitutes on a volume-for-volume measure basis,-IF you are talking about the FFg version! I also tried the FFFg version, and it performed a LOT better. I got 1742 FPSina .50 cal., using a 370-grain MaxiBall in a sidelock, from a 140-grain charge of ClearShot FFFg (shown below).

If the guysold you FFFg ClearShot, and can get you some more of the FFFg version,I'd use it! I woud not use it if he can't get more, as there is no point in developing good loads with a powder that is no longer available!! As sabotshooter advised, if it is FFg ClearShot, send it back!!

But ClearShotis NOT PINNACLE!!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep... the old APP/Goex Pinnacle/Jim Shockey stuff was a reformulated "Cleanshot" -- now discontinued/OOB -- but reformulated by the "Hodgdon sued"former Cleanshotowner into his new company ...ie... APP.