Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Minimum load for deer

Old 01-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Minimum load for deer

Looking to get my little one his first m/l deer next year, and was wondering what would be the lowest charge of T7 with a 250g shockwave that one should shoot. I want something that would provide a quick, humane kill out to 75 yds, but not kick the snot out of him at the range.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Minimum load for deer

I don't know what the minimum might be, but I can tell you what I did for my kids and what we use.

They normally shoot a ported, rifled 20 gauge with sabots for deer. But, this year I wanted them to be able to hunt with me during primitive season. So, I bought a used T/C Black diamond for a hundred bucks. I then took it into my shop and took about 3 1/2 inches or so off the barrel and recrowned it (most bp gun barrels are far too long and front heavy for a kid to use). Also took about an inch and a half off the stock. I put the original rear cushion back on and put a slip on limbsaver over the top so it has two on the back. Before I put it all back together, I took an old shot and put about 6 oz of lead shot in the buttstock. The gun is a tad heavy, but the balance point is exactly in the wrist. You can support the barrel with one finger.

We shoot 300 grain Hornady XTPs in front of 75 grains of 777. So far, they have killed two deer with the gun. Both at around 60 yards, both broadside and both through and through with great blood trails. With the extra weight of the gun, it more than shoves than kicks. At 100 yards it groups about 2 inches which is fine for them, I won't let them shoot much further than 75 yards or so. It is loud and has a wonderful ball of flame coming out the end, the kids love it. There are a couple of bp muzzies out there that havebarrels about this long. I have not put the load across a chrony, but it has performed very well on deer and kicks about like, or less than a 30-30.

Oh yea, while I am totally sold on shockwaves and use them exclusively in my Encore, I think with this lower powered load you would be better suited to use a Hornady XTP or similar hollowpoint sabot. I am not sure a shockwave would be at high enuff velocity to give you the terminal performance you want.

Good luck.
Hank
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use pyrodex. I heard it doesent kick as much as Triple Se7en
Old 01-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Depending on your rifle, that will tell you what powder charge you can shoot. You might not get good enough accuracy with 70 grains of T-7 and a Shockwave for instance. You are going to have to shoot what is most accurate.

You might want to look into smaller powder charges with something like a ballet or maxiball. You are still pushing some good size bullets and with a moderate powder charge and correct shot placement they should be relative low in recoil and accurate. I would suggest a 270 grain buffalo ball-et or a maxi ball and see if you get good accuracy with that.. 75 grains and you have a low recoil deer killing load to 100 yards easy.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

55 grains 777 with .451 180 gr. Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot wrapped inside a black Harvester sabot. Real nice 75 yard load.

The other one I developed this past Sundayis 50 gr. 777 using a .451 revolver roundball insidea45/50 black Harvester sabot for a 1-48" Traditions sidelock.

You are not the only one with an upcoming youngen hunter-wannabein the family.[X(]
Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I would suggest a 270 grain buffalo ball-et or a maxi ball and see if you get good accuracy with that.. 75 grains and you have a low recoil deer killing load to 100 yards easy.
I diddnt know there was a 270gr buffalo ball-et.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I would suggest a 270 grain buffalo ball-et or a maxi ball and see if you get good accuracy with that.. 75 grains and you have a low recoil deer killing load to 100 yards easy.
I diddnt know there was a 270gr buffalo ball-et.
I was taking it for granted this was a .50 caliber inline rifle. I really should have asked. But yes, they make a 270 grain Ball-et for the .50 caliber and out of my Knight Wolverine with a 22" barrel it is a deadly shooting combination. For deer it is all that would be needed placed in the right spot.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Thanks guys - the rifle he wants to shoot is mine (of course) -- a CVA Optima (26" barrel). Right now I have this gun grouping at 2" and under@ 100 yds using the 250gshockwave and 90g T7. I never really tried more powder - figured it was just right - and not one deer has complained yet. I wonder what recoilcould be expected using a lighter bullet - say the 200g shockwave, and 75g T7. Shouldn't the lighter projectile kick less? I have two main concerns ----1. Humane kills on the animal, and 2. my son's reaction to the recoil.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes the lighter bullet should kick less. It should have less recoil. Also changing powders from Triple Se7en to something else I feel changes the recoil. Triple Se7en to me, has the sharpest recoil of all the powders out there.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 AM

In my optima I used a 200 grn shockwave with around 80 grns(if I remember) of pyrodex. I set this up for my girlfriend who doesn't get along with much recoil.(or anything else!)

This load killed some deer out to 80 yrds. After I bought a gun for her so I could have mine back I upped the powder to get better expansion.

Quick Reply: Minimum load for deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.