Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Follow-up on my Hawken

Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Follow-up on my Hawken

Few weeks ago I posted a story about how my gun shop mangled my Hawken, and refused any reimbursment or repair. I sent it back to T/C and to my surprise recieved a new barrel, fiber optic sights installed yesterday evening. (a note that they installed the sights without a scratch or mark)
The thing is beautiful, though when installing the wedge key it is some tight, but oh well, it goes in and out, and that is what matters.
Today, I am finally (after a month and a half) going to be able to start shooting my Hawken. The weather is beautiful, I built a shooting bench yesterday, and I couldnt be happier.
I dont have any wads, which sucks, and I think the shop that I swore I would never go to might have em, oh well, have to drive the extra 20 miles to a different shop now, but I wont give in!
Oh well, thank you again EVERYONE for all the help, and Ill be sure to post this evening some bada$$ photos so that you can all drool.
Shoot Straight
Ps. Is anyone elses wedge key really really tight?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Follow-up on my Hawken

ORIGINAL: Campo
Ps. Is anyone elses wedge key really really tight?
I like mine tight. Barrel keys, that is! You don't want them slipping out while shooting!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

What did T/C Charge you if you don't mind me asking?

I have a used barrel with a hack-job on a front sightthat I was considering having them work on.

I bought the barrel at a trade showa couple ofyears agobecause the bore was excellent. It has apatridge style sight. Finally getting around to doing something with it recently. Thenafterfinding that is shoots too low all the timeand that some bone-head along the way installed the wrong sight (a metric) and filed the barrel instead of getting a correct dovetail. The rear sight is a correct T/C patridge sight (Contender I think). But now a correct size 3/8" dovetail is way too loose.

Really glad to hear you have your barrel back and are going to be making some smoke!

Tahquamenon
Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Not having a wad is by no means the end of the world. I hunted for 20 years without them and never had problems. I just find with the new powders they do sometimes come in handy. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3838 get a 1/2 in hollow hole punch and go to the lumber yard and get some 100% wool felt insulation strips and make your own. They work fine. Since they are wool you can shoot them unlubed or lubed. I do lube then.

As for the barrel wedge, you want a good tight fit on the wedge. Not just for the reason that it will not slip out on you, but it is pulling that barrel into the stock nice and tight each and every time you shoot. I actually will take some packing tape and make layers inside the barrel wedge lock so when I put the wedge pin it, it is nice and tight...

It's nice to know that Thompson Center stands for such customer Service. They took care of you even though it was not their problem. Had they denied to help no one would have blamed them. The fact they did help with the problem says tons for their dedication to their product. Now you know why I buy a lot of Thompson Center rifles. They might not be the most PC rifle in the rack but they are all good shooters.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

No kidding there on Thompson/Center's quality service.

I recently lost the filler screwsforthe scope mounton my T/C Scout receiver cover. I lost them,I removed them to clean and dry the threads as they were looseandintended to re-install them with threadlockerand then for some stupid reason still had them in my hand when I walked out to check the mail.

That was the last time I remember seeing them. [&:]

Called T/C to order and payforreplacements and I had them in a week. Without an invoice.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 AM

I'd be surprised if T/C would fix the enlarged dovetail problem for free. If they would, it be A+++ customer service. If not, this would not be a big deal for a qualified gunsmith. Worst case scenario is having to make a new front sight from scratch - something that would take less than an hour.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Well, I just got in from the first firing session with my Hawken...what more could I ask for, temps in the mid 40's, blue skies with some clouds, and light winds, fours hours of shooting means.......Life is good
I started off with the Scheutzen 2f, and started with a light load of 75 grs at 50 yards. Hitting low, but tight (all groups I shot today were 7in groups, with the best being 4 inches).
After 12 shots, I moved to the next target, pumped the load up to 85 grs, and let fly for another 13 shots. Groups were a little more varied, some larger, some smaller, and some erratic shots (think I just jerked on those).
My best shot was a bullseye, and I cut the thing down the center.
Overall, I got some more shooting to do, to get used to the gun and to get better at the shooting...such is the way of things, life is still good!
Ill just let everyone know my procedure
I was shooting a .490 Hornady roundball, with Oxyoke Wad and pillowtick patch (.018) both lubed with bore butter (though they were already lubed). Getting those things down the barrel was a chore...tight fit with those tick patches. I shot 75gr and 85gr groups at 50 yards.
I was shooting of a bench with a gun vise/rest (first time shooting off one, and I am in love with it!)
Was using the 6oclock modified hold on the target
Between shots I cleaned with cotton patch + TC #13 cleaner, 3 patches per cleaning, with 6 swipes total (turned patch upside down). Then, a patch of alcohol (2 swipes again).
Only two misfires the whole day, not sure why, but after two additional caps she went.
Thanks again everyone, Ill be posting pics on me with my baby soon!!!!!
Does anyone know how high I can push the grains with the Schuetzen? Cayugad mentioned that it had a higher pressure, so you can push it as high?
Also, if anyone has any tips on sighting in let me know!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I never liked T/C #13 as a swab compound. The reason is there is a chance of leaving moisture in the barrel when you dump your next charge. Although it sounds like you were doing a good job of dry patching so I think you would be safe. In my traditional rifles I swab (especially in winter) with pure isopropyl alcohol.

With the Swiss and Schuetzen powders I never went about 100 grains in 2f and 90 grains in 3f. The recoil will tell you better. With Goex I normally shoot 100 grains of 3f which might sound like a lot, but the rifle does its best there.

Since this is your first session on your new barrel, I would not get too concerned about accuracy and group tightness. We used to say never worry about a rifle until after 200 shots. Whether this still holds true is hard to say. The big thing is shoot it as much as you can and get comfortable to the stock and the noise and recoil of the rifle.

As for the hard to load, go to Wal Mart and get some 100% blue or red strip Pillow Tick cloth. It is $3.49 a yard here. Wash it in the washing machine and then line dry it. After it is dry it will tear in nice even strips for you. Just smear some bore butter or mink oil on that, lay it over the barrel and seat your ball into that. Cut the rest of the strip off at the muzzle and you now have a perfect centered patch. It should be a little easier to load although I never had a problem with Ox Yoke. Now if you were shooting .495 ball I could well understand the problems. We had to hammer them to get them down the barrel...
Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 PM

sounds like you did ur research guys, getting a new flintlock too. good luck on yours