Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My range backstop

Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My range backstop

This is the back stop on my range. It isn't my idea either as I had seen the use of semi tires as a back stop at a pay shooting range we used to shoot at a lot years ago. the tires are filled with sand as they are stacked to a level you think you need. These happen to be car tires but even stop rounds from my 300 Win Mag at 25 yards. You can even remove the tires and sift the sand to recover spent bullets if you desire.
I never saw a need to make the back stop any bigger as it does all I want. I also have seven acres of woods behind it so pitty the poor tresspasser on my posted property.
I can shoot 150 yards, but then there is a hill after that.

Got to remember this forum doesn't like imagestation pictures.

Al
Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My range backstop

alleyyooper

Darn good idea!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

My bullet trap is made of 3/4 inch steel plate set at an angle. When the bullet passes through the target, it goes into the trap strikes the steel and is deflected downward into a sand trap where they come to rest. All you do in the spring is sift the sand trap and you can recover a great deal of the lead. Although every once in a while I will find a slug about three to six feet straight out in front of the trap. Why some of them will not deflect is beyond me.

Behind the trap is another 1/4 steel plate and behind that is a log wall. After that just acres and acres of my woods. The reason I built the thing is I was cutting an actual road into the woods with the muzzleloaders. It is of no surprise to some the size of tree that a few hits from one of these big bullets,and then a wind, can bring down. I would look into the woods prior to the trap and wonder what tornado when through that small area...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

From 25 yards. Yes it does flood out every so often. Mostly on a real warm day when snow melts fast.

Al
Old 01-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the scenery!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I like the scenery!
I agree Sharp Shooter... that is a very beautiful place he has there. I am a photographic nut, and take a lot of scenery shots around my area...
Old 01-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. We like it here. I like it at the cabin better since it has more deversity and more acreage. But till we can move there for good this place fits the bill. We had about 3 acres of grass to call yards and mow till 1999 when I started digging up the back yard so that as of today we have about 3800 square feet of Perennial flower beds. Planted many shrubs from Weeping ***** Willows to Burning Bushes (The deer love the burning bushes). We down to a couple hundred square feet of mowingf grass now, which will get even smaller this summer.
We have a creek that runs thru the property on the north side of the house back to the back line. Deer, Turkeys, foxes, otters,phesants, andrabbitsand many more animals use the trail along the creek as a path way. We are able to sit in our living room or dining room and watch them daily. No arguement from my Kare when I told her no curtins on those windows. Twenty some years latter there are still none.

These two pictures were taken in November during deer season when I wasn't home.

Looking in the bedroom window.

Same deer out the front door.

This one was taken in late Sept when I was packing to go to the cabin and meet my daughter and her girl friend for some fishing.

Like Cayugad one of my hobbies is taking pictures. Pictures of our bees, flowers, the wild life, Sunsets andmy pups
Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It is of no surprise to some the size of tree that a few hits from one of these big bullets,and then a wind, can bring down. I would look into the woods prior to the trap and wonder what tornado when through that small area...
Funny! I guess that would be one measure of whether or not you shoot enough.

Tom
Old 01-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

It seems strange now to me that I take for granted deer, bear, grouse, squirrels, an occasional bobcat, weasels, and a host of other creatures and birds of all kinds,that visit my yard. Like you, I refused to put curtains on the big windows and went with blinds that I can roll up or turn out to stop the sun when it comes in.