Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean Shot? Anybody know about it?

Old 10-17-2002, 12:51 PM

Default Clean Shot? Anybody know about it?

My local gun shop has told me that Clean Shot will now longer be produced. It seems that Pyrodex had claimed they had infringed on their copyright, and that Pyrodex sued and won. My question is whether any of you know if there is a substitue for Clean Shot and whether any of you have used it with success?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Clean Shot? Anybody know about it?

Clean Shot is now known as American Pioneer Powder, and is being made by the Amnerican Pioneer Powder Company of Boca Raton FL. They no longer make "pellets" (that's what the Hodgdon suit was about, instead they make "sticks". (And loose powder.)

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I have "Clean Shot" and have used it a number of times. A small sporting good store went out of business, and I bought all of it off him for a very good deal. I have not seen any difference between Pyrodex RS and it, other then at clean up time. I have not run any tests to see if one is faster, etc. All I know is it did not change the point of where the round ball or conicals hits. The big difference is when you clean the rifle at the end of the day. A few patches in the water tank and the barrel is clean. As "eldeguello" said, American Pioneer Powder is the old Clean Shot. I use side locks Davidb1 so I have not idea how the sticks shoot. I am a pure loose powder shooter. I feel I can measure a better charge that way. Good Hunting people.....stay safe

Old 10-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2002, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Bill,

I haven't tried the new powder sticks, but I can say I (along with many others) was totally UNimpressed with the old CleanShot pellets. I do like the loose powder, but the pellets never seemed to burn consistently (or completely at times). And to be honest, I really don't expect much better out of the new sticks.

The sticks are actually square shaped pegs rather than round pellets (in order to beat the copywrite infringement case) and are slightly oversized so that they have to be pushed down the bore - causing the edges of the sticks to crumble & fall underneath the stick. It is literally pushing a square peg into a round hole.

The space on the sides of the pellet is no problem - afterall, neither the old CleanShot pellets nor the Pyro pellets actually fill the bore either. As long as the bullet is pushed firm against the pellets, all is well. What these guns can't tolerate is a space between the powder charge & the base of the bullet.....this allows a buildup of pressure that the average muzzleloading barrel is not designed to handle.

"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!
Old 11-01-2002, 02:00 PM

I bought the sticks this year..a switch from Pyrodex pellets from the last couple. As Mark Wiz indicated, the sticks are slightly over bore, but that doesn't make them any harder to get down the barrel. I have fired many rounds on the range and found they go off instantly and consistently with 209 ignition. Accuracy is the best I've seen in my Black Knight, almost touching bullet holes at 130 yards with 348gr Powerbelts (I know thats a weird yardage, but my 36" leg paces and my friends Bushnell rangefinder disagree on what 100 yards is!) I'm not familiar with the older forms of Clean Shot, but improvements are supposedly made for this year, like finer powder for faster ignition, and the "avoid the copywrite infringement" new design.
If they perform in the field as on the range, consider me converted to sticks.

Rack
Old 11-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Clean Shot(Powder)for 3 yrs in my Knight 45.I have NO complaints.The clean up is far better than pyro or BP.I've shot nothing but BP out of my TC Thunderhawk for 8 yrs,and 15 yrs out of my CVA side lock.I've seriously considered switching to Clean Shot in both weapons(American Pioneer Powder).