Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried the MMP sub bases today

Old 01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Tried the MMP sub bases today

I've been wanting to try some of the different loads in rifles with MMP sub bases. On the last order we finally got our supply so we are set. TodayI took the Renegade rifle out. On it was barrel #2 (I have two of them both the same caliber) Stainless Steel Green Mountain Barrel. This rifle normally shoots the .458 300 grain Hornady HP's real well so I put a sub base under them and the accuracy was not what I expected at all. The first shotI contributed to a clean barrel but normally that should have been in the center of the bull. When the second only climbed a short distance, I decided to stop and test a different projectile.

With the sub base I figured I could increase the powder charge a little so I pushed the 250 grain Shockwave up to 110 grains. The rifle shot as if I had a modified hold instead of an open 6 o'clock hold which accounted for the lower hits. I wonder if that was the case for the 300 grain Hornady HP's as well. Once I started aiming with a modified hold the rifle actually did very well. The sabots looked almost new other then some rifling marks on them.

A real interesting test actually. I have other bullets I want to try with the sub base and now that I have some pellets, I want to see what the Black Diamond XR will do with pellets and some of the projectiles and sub bases...

Others who have shot sub bases.. did you notice a large difference in the POI of the rifles and projectiles you tried?

I was going to keep paper punching but noticed a large number of tree rats, a.k.a. pine squirrels, in the lower part of the woods, so I went out to thin the herd. I was disappointed. I only got one. But the 250 grain Shockwave with 110 grains of Pyrodex was able to knock him off his feet (and then some). for those curious, no problem with knock down on him...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Tried the MMP sub bases today

The testing I did last year with the sub bases was a mixed bag. Some loads shot lower, some didn't. Some shot better andmany shot worse. I think generally they tend to insulate the bullet from the heat and pressure of the burning powder charge - which in the case of smokeless charges or magnum BP loads, can be a good thing. I wouldn't expect them to offermuch to the shooter who uses regular loads - might even make them shoot worse because a certain degree of bullet upset is known to produce good accuracy in many cases.

The only load I am currently usingwith the MMP sub base is the 410 gr. Hornady Great Plains using either 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets or 120 grains of loose 2F Triple 7. My hunting buddy uses the same bullet/base with 110 gr. of 2f Triple 7. Accuracy is very good and, without the sub base, is marginal - at least with charges this stout. Both are good elk loads.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I have used the sub-bases in the past but found no advantage to them for me. I am not shooting a hot enough load to cause any problems to my polymere sabots. I am thinking if you are shooting anything above 120 granis of t7 you might need these to protect the sabot. I am at school so I do not have acces to my range book - but they did make a difference in velocity. Velocity increased a little bit not enough to justify their use at my powder level.

I am not sure that even 120 or even 150 of BP or Pyro would effect the new sabots. The sub-bases were mainly an invention for the savage. They originated from a 28 guage shotgun wad being cut down as a sub-base by Toby Bridges.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
bigcountry

The place where I could see a clear difference is 3 777 pellets and 250gr barnes expander. I would get 2.5MOA with and 3MOA with flyers without. Rest really didn't make a difference.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Well then I will just keep them around for conicals like the Great Plains and for ball-et to try with. I got some Pyrodex 50 grain Pellets finally and I want to try some of the hot loads too... Actually this Renegade with the Stainless Steel barrel shoots pretty good most any sabot in the 250-400 grain range.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Even if you shot 150 grains of Pryro you probably wouldn't burn a new sabot, just doesn't get that hot as does t7 or smokelss.

If you were to shoot them under a conical - would then have to lube the conical or just sit on top of the sb and shoot it out?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I may have to try them.Shot several loads today trying to see what .400 bullets would do with BM-3.Not too impressed.Everything was grouped 3 to 4"@ 100yds.XTP's with 90/100/110gr.Only had 2 Shockwaves. Best "group" was XP with 90gr.The 110gr loads blew gas past the sabot.I just can't get the Omega to shoot a light bullet with any consistancy.It shoots well with 250gr SST's and 110gr 777.Maybe I should try 300's.

Charlie
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I did'nt mean to get off the thread,I have used sub bases with 385 great plains,and the worked well.I meant to say I should try them with heavier loads of BM-3 to stop the blowby.

Charlie