Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Would you stand for this?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Would you stand for this?

Today was my birthday, and I got stuck making dinner for family and friends. As luck would have it, my fiber optic sights came for my T/C Hawken. I dropped it off at the gunshop, a guy who I have used for years and trust, and asked him if he could throw them on, to which he said no problem. Come back, pick up the gun, and ask him how it went, and he says it was a little tight but I was able to get it on. I pick it up, ask what I owe, and he says nothing, just get yourself on outta here. I get in the car, start driving home, and peek at the barrel. I notice that there are a few gouges near where the front sight had to be hammered in with the punch. I pull over, look closer, and see that they also dented the dovetail slightly, as well as noticing the gouges were a little worse than I first saw. I had to drive home, and called him as soon as I get there. He said he hadnt noticed the damage, and that a few punch marks are normal cause the sights need to be reamed on pretty good to get in and out. I maintained my position that I dont think what was present on my barrel was normal wear and tear from sight installation, and told him I want him to look at it in front of me and then tell me it is normal wear and tear. Anyway, what would you all do in this situation? Do you think you would just shrug it off (there are only four gouges, and though they are into the metal, they arent "that bad")? I feel like demanding a new barrel, since I havent even shot the thing yet and it is still brand new...Anyway, what do you all think
Ps Any advice for installing and removing those sights?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 PM

Default RE: Would you stand for this?

well the way I look at it is I would let it go if it A. doesn't effect the sights and B. doesn't effect the shooting of the rifle. He did it for free and that might have been why. But if you are a good customer maybe he should make it right. If he values your buisness he will offer it to you, don't ask.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Campo

Gee whiz, I really have a problem with this. Removing and installing a new dove tail sight is not the hard. Granted the new dove tail might be a little bit larger than the old or even a little bit larger than the existing dove tail. But you don't just drive it in. It only takes a few stokes from a file to do the nessary work to install the sight.There is a jig to screw the sight in with pressure. If he did not have that jig he would have to drive it in, but that can be done without marring the barrel or the sight. There is no reason for wear and tear because of sight installation.

Is this individual the owner manager of the gun shop. If he isn't talk to the owner. If he is I believe a frank discussion is on order and at least a compromise on some sort of compensation. Installing the system is not adequate compensation, 2 screws and a dove tail sight. Did he return your old parts to you? What does the old dove tail look like?

Another option is to get the barrel fixed - it can be done, but it will not be free - someone is going to have to pay.

It is terrible to have a new gun damaged.

I really wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Dominant Buck

My worry would be the new site was put in wrong and damaged. As for the marks, that's not right. Any gunsmith worth his salt must have encountered this problem in the past. I have put in some different sites and it was not that I am a gunsmith. Maybe just lucky. I always masking taped the edge of the site, and the area around the barrel. If the dove tail is tight, like Sabotloader said, one maybe two strokes of the file is all it took to make that slide into place.

I think I would take the rifle back and show it to him and tell him if there are troubles with it, that something will have to be done. I am sure he is aware of the mess he made and that is why he decided he did not want to charge you for the mistake.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

He would NEVER get any more work from me. It wouldn't be so bad if he had said that he had a little trouble with the installation and made a couple of marks on your barrel. To let you walk out the door without mentioning it tells me he has no pride in his work and does not value your business.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

That's definetlynot a good was to start with a new rifle, I'd take it back and ask him to take a look at it and see if he offers to replace it. I also believe if he's a good gunsmith this should've never happened. I've taken them out without a whole lot of trouble and I'm no pro although I did have to hit it a few times with a file. Good luck hope the best for you.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

To let you walk out the door without mentioning it tells me he has no pride in his work and does not value your business.
I agree with this. I don't know if a full replacement is in order but something needs to be done. Definetly more than just a free installation. Which if you think about it, it wasn't free since he has cost you money by de-valuing your gun.

Tom
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I would say he hurried you out of the shop with no charge because he did a hack job on your barrel. He should have said something up front like "I had a little trouble with the sight and marred the finish a little" and then showed you where. He could then offer the deal of "no charge" or charge you for the installation but offer to correct or have the finish corrected.

I would not accept the barrel as is and politelyrequest that the barrel finish be repaired.

If that is an issue or he refuses, then perhaps your relationship is not as good as you thought it was. Then I would certainly never give him any business, I would never recommend his business, I would go out of my way to warn others of his shoddyworkand I would file a complaint with the better business bureau.

As mentioned, sometimes dove tails take a little filing here and there and then they fit nicely without hammering them in place. He obviously did not know what he was doing. Punch marks are not normal.

Quality gunsmithing and machining results in workmanship that does not reveal the work from noticable blemish. The work should look like it was factory. I just installed front and rear dovetails on a rifle for a friendlast weekend and it looks perfect. I don't call myself a gunsmith either.

I have hada boo boohere and there before though and buggered a finish on my own rifle when a barrel slipped in the vise and gouged on the jaw of the vise, which I paid to have polished out and repaired. If that flub was someone else's rifle, I would have also paid to have it repaired.

My thoughts.

Let us know how it turns out.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

One thing we all forgot to mention.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would expect the gun to come back in the same condition as I brought it to him, other then the requested changes. I think this is rediculous, everyone makes mistakes but just to give it back to you without mentioning it would piss me off the most.
If the guy told me he made a mistake and screwed up a barrell, well then we could talk about it but to just show you no respect, like your too dumb to even notice the scratches would upset me more then the scratches themselves.

Who cares if what he does doesnt effect the operation of the gun or not its wasnt scratched when you brought it to him.

If you took you car to Jiffy Lube(or wherever) and they scratched the paint while changing the oil somehow the care would still drive fine but wouldnt you want it re-painted. I know I would.

Quick Reply: Would you stand for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.