Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Would you stand for this?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Would you stand for this?

Well, I just thought I would share with everyone what happened today.
I brought the gun back to the shop, and the owner appeared to be in a good mood. As soon as I got there, he came over and said "alright, let me take a look at this". As soon as he looked at it, he said "Well, that is normal wear and tear from installing a dovetail sight, its just where the punch touched down, not much we can do about it." I said it wasnt really acceptable, and that Thompson Center recommends the use of a press, or at the very least use a file so things dont need to be hammered. He kinda talked around me a bit, and I finally said "Look man, I am not trying to be an ass and split hairs here, but you damaged my barrel, and when I brought it here it was new, now it is all marked up." He kinda snapped at this point, and said "What the hell do you want from me. You dont even purchase the sights from me (I didnt know he even had them), ask me to throw them on, dont even charge you for the job, and this is the thanks I get! Jesus, you try to do someone a favor and they turn it around on you." He walked over to the stock rack, grabbed a new front sight, threw it at me on the counter and said, "That is the best you are going to get, try installing it yourself without a punch!" He walked back into the office, mumbling about how he does everyone favors and didnot really give me a chance to say what I really wanted to say (insert multiple explectives here). His assistant looked at me, I didnt say a word, he shrugged his shoulders and said "Hey man, it was a bitch to get in, I dont know what else you want us to do" He then walked away. I sat for a second, swallowed my pride, threw the front sight back at them on the counterand said "I dont want your f&%^ing front sight", picked up my gun, walked out the door, and got into my car.
I called Thompson Center and told them my story, and said they feel bad that I had to deal with someone like that. They gave me a return address, said to send the barrel to them, and they could see what they could do. At the very least, they would be able to do something, according to the smith. It was nice to talk to that kind of customer service.
Anyway, I am sending the barrel back now, its been three weeks since I got the gun and still have not shot it yet, oh well, such is that way of things, gotta keep a smile on the ol kisser
Thanks for the birthday salutation cayugad, and thank you again all for your input...Ill keep you posted
Oh, btw, if anyone lives in Otsego or Delaware county NY (or near there), Just ask me and Ill tell you the name of the shop to avoid, I want to slander him in public on here, but I am the bigger man, and dont feel it necessary.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Campo, You are the bigger man for it. It stinks the way it happened for you but I'm glad to hear about the response from TC. I gota limited editionencore back in the fallandwhen I got it, itwas a sealed packagebut when I opened it the front forend was ever so slightly dented. I called TC and theytold me NO problem just mail it back to them and they would replace it no questions asked. Iknow thisis a little different of a situation but it might bring you some peace to know that you purchased a firearm that stands behind their prodcut and this is one of the benefits thatgoes along withthe fine craftsmanship they provide.I'm sure if TC can help you in anyway they will do thier best. Keep us posted I'd like to hear the outcome. Good Luck
Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

They guy laid a load of bs on you. If it was tough to get in and he did the right job then he would have charged you and felt justified in doing so. He didn't charge you because he screwed up your gun and was hoping that you would call it square. Sorry to hear about your gun.

This gun will ultimatly be like the girlfriend that wasn't easy but you ended up getting her eventually. Just think how nice the first shot is going to be!

Tom
Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry the guy was a moron!

Well, obviously his business is doing so well he can afford to throw away a valuable customer, referral and further dent his reputation.

I would for sure contact the Better Business Bureau.

I might also small claims court the bozo. You might not win, but you will drag him into court and let him tell a judgehow you should be happy and pleased that he screwed up your barrel so you could get the sight installation for free.

Happy Birthday anyway! It will work out.

Thompson/Center products and servicearetop shelf. I've dealt with T/C since 1970 and they are without a doubt one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.

Tahquamenon