Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I expect better groups?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I expect better groups?

I'm shooting a T/C Omega that my wife got me for Christmas.I shotboth, 240 gr. XTPs and 250 gr. Shockwaves, pushed by 100 grains of 777 pellets. Both bullets shoot about 2 - 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. It seems like I get quite a few flyers.Usually one every 3 or 4 shots. I swab the barrel between each shot with 50/50, washer fluid/ alcohol, followed by a dry patch.

Am I expecting too much fromthis muzzle loader? I've read that these two bullets shoot really good in an Omega. I know each gun is different. I was thinking of trying some 245 gr. Power Belts but I don't like the price and I've read that they don't shoot that tight out of an Omega.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I expect better groups?

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I'm shooting a T/C Omega that my wife got me for Christmas.I shotboth, 240 gr. XTPs and 250 gr. Shockwaves, pushed by 100 grains of 777 pellets. Both bullets shoot about 2 - 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. It seems like I get quite a few flyers.Usually one every 3 or 4 shots. I swab the barrel between each shot with 50/50, washer fluid/ alcohol, followed by a dry patch.

Am I expecting too much fromthis muzzle loader? I've read that these two bullets shoot really good in an Omega. I know each gun is different. I was thinking of trying some 245 gr. Power Belts but I don't like the price and I've read that they don't shoot that tight out of an Omega.
Those groups aren't just bloody awful, but I think if you were to use loose powder instead of pellets, and were willing to work out an accuracy load by shooting groupsstarting with say 70 grains of powder and going up to 120 grains or so in 5-grain increments, you will find a load using your present bullets that is at least 50% better-more like 1" instead of 2" or 2.5". If you are able to get a pellet load to shoot as well as a load using loose powder, it is just a stroke of good luck. It happens, but pellets just don't provide the degree of flexibility needed to optimize the performance of a given rifle....
Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Windwalker7,
You're getting the same results that Idid whenshooting the Shockwaves and XTP's. I can shoot super great 3 shot groups @ 100yds. using these bullets, but as soon as I go for a 5 shot group, I always get an unexplained flier. That frustrates me too[:@]
I still play with them from time to time, but I've pretty much given up on them. There are a lot of people on this forum that swear by them and I'm happy for them.
I shoot the Barnes Spit Fires and they give me the best groups consistantly. They are also devistating on deer.
The 348gr. Power Belt shoots very good out of my Omega too, but I'm not completly sold on them even though I'll be using them next weekend on our late doe only season here in Illinois. I will be shooting one of my sidelocks that loves these bullets.
Half the fun of having a ML is playing with all the different bullets, powders and powder charges to find that perfect load.
Good luck in your quest and don't get disappointed....it's suppose to be fun

Old 01-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not had the flyer problem with my System One which uses a musket cap [I switched back when I tried the 209 breach plug and started geting them. I have not cured my new Omega of them yet this is one possable answer I am considering .Look it over and tell me what you think.
http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm
Lee
Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I have not had the flyer problem with my System One which uses a musket cap [I switched back when I tried the 209 breach plug and started geting them. I have not cured my new Omega of them yet this is one possable answer I am considering .Look it over and tell me what you think.
http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm
Lee
That was pretty interesting. I'd like like to find a better load before I go that route, but that is something to consider. If you get that breech plug, let us know how it works.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

lemonyne,
I purchased the Variflame primer adapter, but I have yet to use it onmy Encore or Omega. I did try it in one of my Knight's and I didn't notice any difference.Thinking about it some more, I did have a mis-fire using the primer adapter with the Knight[:@] I was not using the recommended CCI 400 small rifle primer at the time, so this could have been part of the problem.
The Judge is still out on this one, but it gives me something to play with after the hunting season is over with. I'd give just about anything to get rid of those unexpected fliers when shooting those dang Shockwaves and SST's.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I am going to guess that this is a scoped rifle. If this is iron/fiber opticsights you should be very pleased.

You did not mention the kind of primers you were shooting. Whether they will make a serious difference in the groups, I could not say. In my Black Diamond XR they do not seem to make a difference.

I think your swabbing techniques are fine. I see no problem in them unless you are getting an unusual amount of fowling. Then it might be necessary to run a second damp patch down the barrel before a couple of dry patches.

What I would try if I were you... first off change powder. Loose Triple Se7en or Pyrodex. Some rifles just hate Triple Se7en. My Black Diamond XR for instance shoots excellent groups with Goex and Pyrodex P. You might also want to give Pyrodex Pellet powders a chance to see if that makes a difference.

One other thing is, when you are pushing the projectile down the barrel can you feel it turning with the rifling or is it bucking the rifling and sliding past it. Today when I was shooting my Knight, I was using a new jag for shockwaves to load some PTX 250 grain and I could feel them spinning with the rifling. I also noticed the jag was coming unscrewed after seating the projectile. I wouldn't mention this, but the accuracy was outstanding.

Precision Rifle does make jag I understand that will spin with the projectile as you seat it. I am going to get one of them with my next bullet order and see if that will shave some amounts off the shot groups also.

Change one part of your routine at a time until you get the kind of effects you like with the rifle and the load.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Encoreman,

What do those Spitfires cost for a box? Do they slide down the barrel any easier? And one more question, What and how much powder are you using?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayudad,

Yes, its scoped, Bushnell Banner 3x9

Remington Clean bore primers. I have some Winchesters but I didn't try any of them.

Ican feel the bullet turn and yes, the jag comes loose.

I bought aseveral boxes of 777 50 gr. pellets when Walmart had their stuff on sale. I was hoping I could get this rifle to shoot with that, but if I can't, no big deal. I'll just get some different type of powder.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Windwalker7,
I buy the box of 25 and the cost is around $20.00 I get better groups using the 285gr. Spit Fire vs. 245gr. The 1st time I shot these out of my TH Omega @ 100yds. I had a sub 1", 5 shot group. The powder charge was 110gr. of Triple 7 FFg.
I've had very good luck using 3, 50gr. Pyrodex Pellets too with the Spit Fire's.
Barnes is also coming out with a new bullet in 2006. I can hardly wait to play with them.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodmuzzleloader_new2006.php

Quick Reply: Should I expect better groups?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.