Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I expect better groups?

Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should I expect better groups?

Windwalker7

If I may, for a new gun you are doing just fine - give it a chance for both you and the gun to get broken in a bit. I the lands are probably still really sharp - the barrel is not even close to being broken in. That Omega is a good gun an will handle the t7 and those projectiles just fine eventually. I would go so far as to say quit shooting those expensive bullets, buy a box of XTP's and a compatible sabot and shoot the heck out of it. It really wouldn't be bad to get some conicals and shoot 30/40 of themout of the barrel for awhile, especially if this is a stainless steel barrel.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-08-2006, 05:32 PM

I had the same problem would get big groups at 100yds ( 3-5") shooting the 395 powerbelts and 100 gr 777 pellets. Changed to 250 shockwaves and groups dropped down to 2-2.5", then changed to Kleenbore primers (was using Fed's 209A's) groups dropped to 1.75 and under at 100 yds. My goal is 2" groups at 200 yds.... then we will see.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Encoreman, were you by any chance using 777 when it misfired? Theytoidme not to use it with small rifle primers. When I ask if they had a setup for large rifle primers because I had knew of some misfires they said no and cut me off.
I have a friend that is using the 2520 case setup with APP and he loves it says never has to clean any thing but the barrel,that it seals tight.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

ccicora,
"good post" I have yet to try the Remington Kleenbore primers, but it's good to know that it help you shrink your group size. I should be so lucky when I try them. Are you shooting 3 or 5 shot groups?
I remember when my goal was to consistently shoot <2", 5 shot groups @ 100yds. and now it's to "consistently" shoot <1" or less, 5 shot groupswith heavy hunting loads. I'm still working on it.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM

At least 3 but have had up to 8 in 3" , Then was getting flyers because I had not trained enough and I already had 30+ shots in at various positions.... I practice sitting (3 positions), Kneeling and standing. I found with varing my shooting position I can make a good shot when it counts.... farthest track ever 90 yds ( I watched the deer slide down the hill like a kid on a bad sled ride) next 30 yds (I aimed 1ft over the deers back and hit the bottom of the heart using an 1100 w/ AA rifled slugs) the rest I count in feet.... That is why I practice.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

lemoyne,
It was early last fall when I used the primer adaptersfor the 1st time in my Knight. I'm not positive, but I do believe I was using Triple 7 FFg. I shoot 777 more than anything else.This is the 1st time that I've heard that they didn't recommend using the small rifle primer with 777? I was blaming the mis fire on not using the recommended 400 CCI primer.
I'm still playing with Pinnacle and Shockey's Gold and I like them both, except I had a problem once with the Pinnacle on a really humid day. I think it attracts moisture, but I haven't had a problem using it since then.
I love BP shooting and trying to find that magic load
Old 01-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

If your rifles are new and you're not getting the kind of accuracy out of them you might want to take some J-B Bore Paste and cut some small squares of Scotch Brite Scouring pad. Put that on a patch worm. Smear some of the paste on that and scrub the bore. This is not an actual lap as much as it simply taking some of the ruff spots out of the new rifle bores.

Sometimes people's rifles just need to break in. Many years ago, we did not even get worried about the groups of a rifle until after about the 200th shot through it. We figured by then we had finally broke them in.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, I fire lapped mine same as back in the old days when I was building Hawken Rifles. It shoots ok I guess
I only have a 2 power scope and it groups less than an inch with the 50/40 200gr.Shock Wave since I fire Lapped.
The thing that bothers me is except with the 50/40's I get a flyer now and then say 8 to 10 shots that will be an inch or a little more out of my group. Lee