Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Black mountain Magnum

Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default TC Black mountain Magnum

anyone out there have any advice on this gun. I don't belive TC still makes them but you can still find then on the int. new for around $260. I like shooting side locks and with the 1-28 twist barrel it should be accurate with the modern bullets. What kind of accuracy should I expect?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TC Black mountain Magnum

From my experance the problem is likly to be ignition more than accuracy,I can't use 777 in mine but by using musket caps it wil do ok with pistol or rs and AP works fine .You have to find the load it likes and the right bullet like any muzzle loading rifle;mine like 44cal 300gr XTP or either of the Shock Waves.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

T/C Black Mountain Magnum were around for a short time it seemed. I never heard a lot about them but saw them on line once and thought I might like one but was bidding on something different. With a 1-28 twist they should shoot real well with sabots or even conicals. Sidelocks are a great way to shoot and hunt. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Dakotabowhunter,
I mounted a peep sight on my T/C Black Mtn. Magnum and most of the groups I shot with this rifle were @ 50yds.and you can lay then right on top of each other from a bench from this distance. I didn't shoot for groups @ 100yds. because the front fiber optic sight covered up so much of the target. This is not saying that you couldn't harvest a deer at 100 yds. or beyond. I knew that as long as I centered the front sight behind the shoulder I'd be taking home venison that day.
I did not have much luck with pellets out of this gun, but loose powder shot very well.