Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bino's for range and hunting

Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Bino's for range and hunting

I'm looking for a binocular that I can use on the range and zoom out too 200yds to look shot groups over. But I also want to use the same set to hunt with in NY, were your shooting under 50 or out in a field looking for woodchucks. I know that they will get banged up and that anything over 12x you need a rest for (I can get if needed). I also know that the compacts don't collect light as good as the traditional.
So with this I would like a good set that can fit in my hunting pocket and still give me all around good use. Boy if that isn't asking alot keeping them under $100 bucks is.... Hows that for a challenge?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bino's for range and hunting

I don't know of anything that would fit that bill without having to replace it every year or so. You are aksing too much for the money.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ccicora

Well, I was thinking that I might have an answer but it would take two pieces of equipment - but then keeping it under $100 would not work. soooo I have drawn a blank...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Your best bet would be to watch E-Bay and see what kind of top name brand optics you can pick up there. Even a good high end scope with multi power can be used in place of a binocular.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:07 PM

Thats what I figured, What do you guys use for a good fixed binocular that is good for hunting?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

For hunting, I have a small pair compact of Simmons that fit in my shirt pocket. They are fine for identification of animals out to moderate ranges which is what I encounter. I did not pay much for them,but these have been some tuff little glasses, I've dropped them out of tree stands, went under the water with them, and they are still working...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ccicora

I use two different binoc's a large pair of 10x42's for stand and clearcut hunting but my most favorite one and the one that use the bulk of the time is a small pair of Stiener 10x26's.

And if you really want to check target impact @ 200 yards you will probably be better of with a Spotting Scope. A normal 3x9 or 4x12 will work well at 100 but out to 200 it becomes somewhat difficult. I am using a 20x spotting scope and looking at 200 is about it's max. You certainly can shoot to 200 with a 3x9 or 4x12(16).

And I would say if possible never use your scope as a spotting scope while hunting - some people find that awful discomforting. When I was young I use to think no big deal - my bolt is open the gun can not go off - well the guy you are lookig at doesn't know that. Go with the Binoc's..
Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ccicora

I'm looking for a binocular that I can use on the range and zoom out too 200yds to look shot groups over. But I also want to use the same set to hunt with in NY, were your shooting under 50 or out in a field looking for woodchucks. I know that they will get banged up and that anything over 12x you need a rest for (I can get if needed). I also know that the compacts don't collect light as good as the traditional.
So with this I would like a good set that can fit in my hunting pocket and still give me all around good use. Boy if that isn't asking alot keeping them under $100 bucks is.... Hows that for a challenge?
This should help your indecision. However, you mayneed to break-open a couple of yournickels/dimes/quarterspiggy-banks to buy most of these. I use a full size Nikon variable for the range.

http://space.about.com/cs/telescopes/tp/tpbegbinoc400.htm
Old 01-02-2006, 07:14 PM

I found these on Ebay (BUSHNELL POWERVIEW 7-15X25 ZOOM BINOCULAR) . I realise they will mostly be used for 7x to 10x but on the off chance I need to see farther I can zoom in and hope for enough light. Experiance has told me I'll end up buying a really good pair in the future... Thanks for all the help and yes I looked up