Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

got a new rifle

Old 12-31-2005, 09:03 AM

Default got a new rifle

this Christmas i was lucky enough to receive a reproduction kentucky rifle from cabelas with a starter kit. i would like to do some hunting with it next year but i do not know what type of projectile would be the most appropriate. it came with PRB but i wanted to know what some of you were using. it has a 1 in 48 twist barrel and i want to either use 2f 777 or pyrodex. any advice on what seems to work well for this application would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
James
Old 12-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: got a new rifle

This a percussion cap lock instead of a flintlock I will take for granted our I think you would have mentioned that. Both Triple Se7en and Pyrodex RS of even P will shoot out of the rifle. Normally for a .50 caliber a .490 ball with a .015-.018 thick patch is a good place to start. I would begin my shooting at 70 grains of powder, shooting for groups. No need to adjust the sights yet. All we want to do is see what charge the rifle likes best. Many of the longer barrel rifles will handle a bigger powder charge. You might push that rifle as far as 90 -100 grains with a roundball and still get excellent accuracy and killing powder. Triple Se7en powder on the other hand is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS do be sure and adjust your loads accordingly.

You might also want to get your hands on some maxiball and shoot an entire box of them out through it to smooth the barrel. http://www.blackjackhill.com/ Check BlackJack Hills for some reasonable and excellent quality maxiball. You will need to lube the maxi ball but not patch it. The are tight but go down the barrel and many people find they shoot excellent. You can drop that powder charge to 70-80 grains and get excellent accuracy.

So if your shooting Pyrodex RS (meaning for rifles and shotguns)push your rifle up to 110 grains of powder and you should be safe.
If your shooting Pyrodex P (meaning for pistols) push your rifle to 100 grains and you should be all right.
If your shooting Triple Se7en (FFg grade) then you could go to 90 grains of powder and still be safe. Other then that get a good lubed patch for the patched roundball and some CCI magnum #11 caps (you might want to invest in a new hot shot nipple for the rifle. You will get much better ignition) and your all set.

Be sure and read you manal cover to cover so you understand the rifle and the manufacturer's recommendations on loads, then read it again to make sure you did not miss anything. Be also sure to clean the devil out of that rifle before you shoot it. They like to fill them with packing grease. I think the Cabela's model Kentucky is ahooked breech system rifle so the barrel comes off, if not you will need a flush kit.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the rifle is shooting.