Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Replacement ramrod

Old 12-31-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Replacement ramrod

I tried the search.... maybe I don't know what to put in, so I'll ask. My wooden ramrod cracked (not broken) trying to push an old sabot down -- my step-father and I traded attempts until it seated. Fired OK. Now I only have 4 old sabots that I will never use.

Anyway, I need a new rod and believe there are choices in fiberglass, synthetic, nylon, carbon, brass, aluminum, and of course, wood. Criteria: not wood (probably break that again); not brittle in cold; doesn't splinter if it does break (have strong fears of shards embedding in my palm); doesn't gouge barrel; fits CVA .50 Mountain rifle (Mountaineer? don't recall at the moment). Besides, it swells so much during the cleaning process, it won't go back in its home.

How about those brass end pieces on my current rod? Do these come with replacements? How would I mark these alternatives for consistently seating my load? Black permanent ink won't show to well on a black rod; scratching/gouging may weaken some hollow types, I believe (incorrectly?)

The local shop has one "universal", but surprise, could not determine what the material is. I will openly consider online point-of-sale. Thank you.

D.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Replacement ramrod

Ibelieve that for under $20,the best "rifle-fitted" replacement ramrods are the black anodized aluminum ones. They are strong & stiff - standard on T/C Encores/Omegas/Black Diamond XRs.Measure the old one & refer to the CVA Kentuckys, Hawkens... etc at this link below. Use the scroll bar on the left when you arrive there. Click on Ramrods & Accessories. Find the one that comes closest to your length. If you don't see any, email the website & they will custom-make one for you at the same prices listed. Good folks there.

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

If you want to spend more than $20, then I'll give you a link to XS Power Rod. What I did was purchased two from RMC... a black anodized that fits the rifle & a brass one that also fits - but is much heavier. I think it adds too much weight to the rifle.

I take both to the range. Use one for seating the bullet with a jag attached -- use the other with bore brush installed for swabbing the bore. That way, it's not necessary to keep unscrewing jags & brushes at the range.

http://www.xssights.com/store/blackpowder.html.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

The rod Triple Se7en suggests is a good one. The aluminum rod on my Black Diamond is excellent. Very stiff and solid. Also while your at it, get yourself a range rod.. a good heavy duty rod. I like my range rod at least 4" longer then my rifle. So I usually get a 32" rod. This makes it much nicer for swabbing and cleaning the rifle at the end of the day.

On the rod make sure it has female ends on both ends if possible. Most of the brass ends come pinned. Make sure they are or believe me, you will be chasing ramrod ends all over the place. With the two female ends, you can attach a jag at one end and a T handle on the other for extra length and pulling power. Then like Triple Se7en says, your not changing rod ends on the range. I also carry three of them when I go to the range. One to load, one with a brush, and one with a cleaning jag.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

dlrider

If you are talking about a RR for the gun, Wal-Mart has a really good product. It is a "Flint River" Universal 31" Lightweight Ramrod #9016103159 - $7.00. It cames with 10x32 threads both ends. You cut the rod to fit your application depending on what attachment you might want to put on the rod. It is a black anodized aluminum rod -kinda reminds me of a really stiff arrow shaft. Very light weight and very strong. I put the new extended TC loading jag on them and they work great. With the extended loading jag you are able to patch and load a variety of bullets including the shockwaves and not damage the tip.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

my wooden rod on my tc hawkins 50 cal which is 35 years old bro. where can i get a replacement . i would like to bring gun back to original look.thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

Might try here...

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Contact01.htm

Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

my wooden rod on my tc hawkins 50 cal which is 35 years old bro. where can i get a replacement . i would like to bring gun back to original look.thanks
Dixie Gn Works has the wooden ones.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?s=1&keywords=ramrod
Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 PM

IMO, the the best, strongest ramrods made were those TC used to make before their plant fire...resin impregnated ramrods...wooden, good looking, darn near as strongas steel, etc
Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

i went to site but one they have is not wooden.there are wooden ones but which one replaces the original 50 cal tc hawkins?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for that site at factory. i cant seem to kfind the original wooden ones. am i missing it?

Quick Reply: Replacement ramrod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.