Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green Mountain Barrel question

Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Green Mountain Barrel question

I was just wondering what charges the replacement barrels for the reneagde are rated for. Also, will the breech plugs come out for cleaning. I am asking this because I once saw where they said includes barrel, sights, nipple and breech plug. Just wondering for those that own them. I saw where cayugad said they are on sale too. Thanks cayugad!!! They have the stainless for 125.00 when I checked.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Green Mountain Barrel question

They are rated to 120 grains of FFg. The breech plug does not come out. They come with a Red Hot Shot nipple, a flexable double pinned double female end ramrod, and standard sights. The front sight has a small brass round head on the front sight.

I'm shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and so far have not found a sabot it really does not shoot well.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

AmericanPioneer

I have twoGreen Mountain barrels also, mine are blued, and were orderedas a bare barrel. The drop-ins that GM sells are exactly that -they are complete and ready to drop into your stock. Remember that your Renegadeprobably has a 1" inch barrel and is shorter than a standard Hawking barrel. From what I have seen on the GM site the barreals they are suppling are 28" barrels like the Hawkin. If you do not mind the extra inches they are great barrels. Mine were actually 32" barrels when I ordered then, but Ihad them cut & crownedto my specifications when I got them here.

As for removing the breech plug - I would say they probably can be removed but are not designed to be removed - if you are talking about a cap-lock breech.

They are a 1/28 twist and really a sweet shooting barrel.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Just so you know, not in all cases but sometimes, the barrels do not just drop in. You have to adjust the thimble rib on the rifle or you have to cut a small portion off the end of the rifle stock. Some of the older rifles I think had just a bit longer fore stock. On one of my Renegades, I had to make adjustments, on the other they go right in.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

AmericanPioneer

I just got off the GM site - the stainless they have on sale is a 15/16ths barrel - Your Renegade should be a 1" barrel -
Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

See Sabotloader.. good thing I bought two of them. I have not shot the second one yet but it's here... I think a lot of people went after them. They are a nice barrel for sure.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Yours are 1" barrels?I really wish I had gotten one!

Even looking at that 15/16ths - I am really tempted - I have an almost new TC Hawkin set aside that I am not using & I am thinking as long as Idaho stays with sabots might not be a bad idea to get a new barrel for it... then I think how am I going 4 TC Hawkin 50's, 1 Renegade 54, and a Lyman Trade Gun 54 cal. not to mention the inlines. I am thinking if that barrelwere to show up here at the house - it might be more welcome in the house than I might be... but jees it would be nice.